Yeast Race - Can you pick the winner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulster2626

Reaction score
Long day. Brewed 3 batches, and have used 3 different yeasts. They are all 5.5 gallons, and they are all about the same OG.

#1 - A Columbus/Cascade PA. OG of 1.052.
Yeast used: Conan, harvested from Heady Topper
Amount pitched: 1.5L starter in to 68F wort.

#2 - A porter. This will eventually be aged with oak cubes, but for now we don't care about that. OG of 1.050.
Yeast used: WYeast Scottish Ale, #1728
Amount pitched: 1.5L starter in to 68F wort.

#3 - My house pale ale. Cascade goodness! OG of 1.054.
Yeast used: S-05
Amount pitched: One package, with a little bit of water to freshen 'er up, in to 68F wort.

YOUR CHALLENGE:
Predict which yeast will show signs of fermentation first, and which will appear to have stopped the fastest. Fermentation chamber is set to 68, with a +/- of 3F. Ready... GO!

Still quiet as I prepare for bed. I just realized ill have to get up every couple hours to check on them.

My take on this is that it really does not matter which one will start first, or which one will finish first......

They all will make beer.:D

For the S-05 you said you added water to freshen it up? Does that mean that it's been sitting for a while? Perhaps you made a starter and set it in the fridge to free up your stir plate.

I'll vote that the first one to ferment will be the last starter, which ever that is. If it's the 05 or the Conan, then they will be the first to finish. If the 1728 was the last starter, then I'll vote Conan will finish first. It didn't need to be freshened up.

My take on this is that it really does not matter which one will start first, or which one will finish first......

They all will make beer.:D

Well, yeah. But where's the fun in that? All I know is yesterday was a first for me. Never have I made 3 batches of beer on the same day, and pitched 3 different yeasts all at the exact same time.

For the S-05 you said you added water to freshen it up? Does that mean that it's been sitting for a while? Perhaps you made a starter and set it in the fridge to free up your stir plate.

I'll vote that the first one to ferment will be the last starter, which ever that is. If it's the 05 or the Conan, then they will be the first to finish. If the 1728 was the last starter, then I'll vote Conan will finish first. It didn't need to be freshened up.

Nah I just mean I put it in a little pyrex thingy with a 1/4 cup of warm-ish water to "activate" it. That's all, nothing special.

There was NO action at 09:00 today. I stared at the airlocks for an hour before determining fermentation had not begun.

Dude 3 batches in one day?
I hope you have more than 1 burner, last double brewday took me 8 hours. Cant imagine a third

EDIT: CONAN will destroy the others, and be the best tasting =]

Based on my own experiences, I'll say:

1) 1728 (I rarely need more than 2-3 days with this champ)
2) Conan (Just used it for the first time last Friday and both beers (different) are done)

3) S-05.

Dude 3 batches in one day?
I hope you have more than 1 burner, last double brewday took me 8 hours. Cant imagine a third

EDIT: CONAN will destroy the others, and be the best tasting =]

Nope. One blichmann burner.

Time management was key. While one batch was boiling, I'd grind grains for the next. I would always try to have something mashing while the other was boiling. Started at 10:00, finished at 19:00. And that's finished, finished - everything cleaned up and put away.

It was a giant hassle, but with a 10 month old brewdays are few and far between. Have to maximize!

1728 is a beast; 05 always takes significantly longer. 1728 also doesn't slow down much even down in the high 50s for temperature. I don't know Conan.

Oh no, we seem to have a tie! S-05 and Conan both started up within an hour or so of each other. 1728, you lose.

FWIW, I've had a fresh 1728 cake take a 1.1+ OG wort to 11% ABV in less than 24 hours, so I think you're doing it wrong... :mug:

FWIW, I've had a fresh 1728 cake take a 1.1+ OG wort to 11% ABV in less than 24 hours, so I think you're doing it wrong... :mug:

1728 fermenter is a little squished in the chamber. I think the lid might not be 100% sealed, so we're not getting fair results here. Oh well, the wife will be happy to hear that I must repeat this for further study!

Isn't this a little like the chugging contests at the frat house? Lets see how fast we can get her drunk and naked. IMHO, home brew is all about finely crafted products that get better as they age. Let's talk about which one makes the better beer!!!

Isn't this a little like the chugging contests at the frat house? Lets see how fast we can get her drunk and naked. IMHO, home brew is all about finely crafted products that get better as they age. Let's talk about which one makes the better beer!!!

No, it's not like that at all. We're talking fermentation here, not conditioning or aging. With proper pitching rates, oxygenation yada yada, your fermentations should be completed within a couple of days. If your fermentations are continually taking extended periods of time, I suggest you look more carefully at some of these processes.

Conditioning may take time, but fermentation itself is not the lengthy ordeal so many make it out to be.

YES. It's exactly like a chugging contest! Something you'd do for, I don't know, fun?

The beer is still fermenting properly, still chosen appropriate strains for the style they are making, still pitched at a proper amount, and the beer is all made with great care and quality ingredients. The only thing that is different from other batches is that these were all made at the same time and the yeast was pitched at the same time.

This is basically the most useless thread ever - but we don't need to be serious ALL the time, do we? :fro:

Also - S-05 continues to beast out the others - she blew through the airlock last night. Thought I had lots o' headspace, but I guess not.

We have a winner!!

Conan seems to have stalled out. I've removed the beer from the ferm chamber hoping it'll chew through those last 5 gravity points in a week or so. Beer currently tastes like bitter bread.

S05 is still chugging away, blowing a bubble in the blowoff every 20 seconds or so.

WYeast 1728, however, is done! FG reached bang-on, and it tastes great! Will leave it for another week or so, then rack on some oak chips and let it age for a while.

PsuedoChef, you win!!! PM TXbrew to claim your prize.

Latest posts

Back