SMaSH - Maris Otter/Fuggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Ingredients

8.00 lb UK Maris Otter (2 Row) UK ( Grain 100 %*

1.5 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (60 min) Hops 27.5 IBU*
1 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (25 min) Hops 12.7 IBU*
1 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (5 min) Hops 27.5 IBU*

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale S-04 Yeast-Ale*

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Measured Original Gravity: WELL, FIRST I HAVE TO BREW IT :)
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: PENDING SG*
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.1 % (BEFORE BOTTLE CONDITIONING) Actual Alcohol by Vol: PENDING %*
Bitterness: 43.9 IBU Calories: 241 cal/pint*
Est Color: 5 SRM Color: PENDING*

COMMENTS: people....this is my 1st ever recipe....many gaps are filled with the word "PENDING" because I havent brewed this yet. All the data is estimated up here....so I hope it wont get deleted....I'll update it ASAP.
I'd like to know what people think of this. I am trying to achieve a nice light, slightly hoppy beer.....but nothing way too bitter....but something that is rather on the fruity, aromatic side.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

I just made a MO SMaSH but used Cascade. That would definitely give you the fruity aromatics. Also, I upped to 10 pounds of MO and happy I did otherwise it would have been way out of balance leaning on the hops. I did a 1 oz at 60 min skipped the 25 min and did a 1 oz addition at 5 min with another 1 oz at flameout. Lastly dry hopped with 2 oz after a week and let sit another week to really get those aromatics. Lasted one week in the keg and another batch will be going back in the fermenter next weekend. I haven't done Fuggles but that is my suggestion especially looking for the fruity aromatics.

This should be in the Recipe/Ingredients thread.
It is there too.....but this is not a recipe.....I asked people what they think of this. I am pretty sure that the recipes section is simply for recipes to be listed...while here people can ask for suggestions/recommendations.

From the Guidelines:

"If you want to post a recipe that has not yet been brewed or you are seeking help, please use the Recipes/Ingredients forum."

Not trying to be a jerk-- Just that this board would get pretty messy if everyone posted their recipes in both sections.

I've done a SMaSH with pale malt and Cascade, but not Fuggles. I have an Old Ale that only uses Fuggles though and use it often in Scottish Ales. It is one of my favorites. Let us know how it turns out. I also usually use Maris Otter for these. I may have to make a version of this myself. A good tool for learning about recipe formulation is SMASH recipes. They help you learn what a couple ingredients do when everything else is stripped out of the way.

BTW, I'm reading this in the recipe section--at least that is what my browser tells me.

From the Guidelines:

"If you want to post a recipe that has not yet been brewed or you are seeking help, please use the Recipes/Ingredients forum."

ok, understood. I'll try to delete the other one. Thanks.

That recipe should turn out fine.
The S0-4 should get you some "fruity"
But the fuggles won't.

Just in case you have not brewed this yet-- I have, and it worked fine. Very tasty and gets MUCH better after a few months of aging.

I recently brewed this, but ramped it up to a 10 gallon batch. I split it into two fermenters and used US-04 in one and Nottingham in the other. The two batches taste a little different, but not markedly so. Ended up tasting somewhat like a pilsner, and came out cloudy like a hefeweizen. It is not bad, by any account, but I guess I was expecting something different. I'm a relative rookie brewer, and thought the maris otter would give me more of a biscuity/malty taste. Just another step in the learning process for me.

I recently brewed this, but ramped it up to a 10 gallon batch. I split it into two fermenters and used US-04 in one and Nottingham in the other. The two batches taste a little different, but not markedly so. Ended up tasting somewhat like a pilsner, and came out cloudy like a hefeweizen. It is not bad, by any account, but I guess I was expecting something different. I'm a relative rookie brewer, and thought the maris otter would give me more of a biscuity/malty taste. Just another step in the learning process for me.

We didnt go for this one in the end.....we brewed MO/Saaz....which was an okay beer. Slightly like a pilsner too.

In the 2nd batch we used 3 different hops (one for dry-hopping)...so I think we are done with the SMaSH thingy.

I also agree that MO tastes good....but I was expecting something different. Well, it is time we got down to business and found some extra malts to make our beer better.

Back