Adding Weight to Muslin Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
We are adding ingredients to our secondaries tonight in muslin bags and we want to add weight to them to have them sit on the bottom. I was thinking about using those clear stones that you can get at pet stores and put them in the bags. Would this work or can anyone recommend a better method?

I used to just liberate some of the wife's stainless silverware for such missions. The gravy ladle worked best to sink a muslin bag of cones in a serving keg ;)

But I no longer bother sinking hops in serving kegs, and just toss a bag in and let it do whatever for the duration of the batch. And I always use free-swimming pellets for dry hopping in carboys, so no weight required there, either...

Cheers!

One batch is gerting apples, cinnamon and vanilla bean and the other is getting orange peel, cardamom, coriander and ginger root. We want the bags to stay on the bottom for the entire duration of the secondary process. Thats why I was considering using marbles or those stone from a pet store.

Not sure if a shot glass will fit through the neck of the car boy....

Marbles. However, just know that anything you put through the neck of the carboy is a PITA to get back out. Marbles will all bunch up and you end up cutting the bag to get them out. I do all my additions in a keg now.

Yea we were thinking when we bottle we would siphon out the beer then cut the tops off the bags and dump everything out.

+1 on stainless steel nuts. Just put the nuts in the sack and then gently lower your nutsack in your beer. :D

Check out Arbor Fabricating at arborfab.com. They make some neat SS dry-hoppers for carboys and kegs. I just purchased one of each yesterday. Expect them delivered tomorrow or the next day. I did this to avoid hop junk in my beer while still getting the flavor. If you don't like this solution, I agree mpcluever about the marbles. That's what I used to use.

Back