Another Question For Mr beer users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
So i have bought some more mixes for my mr beer kit, i have decided to make a strawberry honey wheat. and the question i have is when you add the mix to the fermentng keg should i strain the wort or just dump it all into the keg? the reason i ask is because am not sure and i dont want to lose taste if i strain. thanks again

compact007 said:
So i have bought some more mixes for my mr beer kit, i have decided to make a strawberry honey wheat. and the question i have is when you add the mix to the fermentng keg should i strain the wort or just dump it all into the keg? the reason i ask is because am not sure and i dont want to lose taste if i strain. thanks again

Put it all in the fermenter. If you don't, the fermentation might drive off all of the flavor. You are probably not doing a secondary so you need to keep as much of the fruit in as possible. Let me know how it turns out...I am thinking about doing a strawberry beer too.

sweepking said:
Put it all in the fermenter. If you don't, the fermentation might drive off all of the flavor. You are probably not doing a secondary so you need to keep as much of the fruit in as possible. Let me know how it turns out...I am thinking about doing a strawberry beer too.

I do have two mr beer kegs, how would i go by doing a 2nd fermentation? thanks again

compact007 said:
I do have two mr beer kegs, how would i go by doing a 2nd fermentation? thanks again

You would have to transfer the beer out of the primary after initial fermentation and the yeast has settled to the new container. The point is to get it off the expended yeast bed and give it to time to clear up. There is a lot of discussion as to whether this is really important for standard ales...it can help with fruit beers because you can add the fruit in the secondary to add more flavor. The trick with the transfer is to do it with absolutely minimal aeration which would be difficult with the Mr. Beer set up.

Back