Hop pucks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
So a buddy hooked up some hops and some of them came in these little round pucks, he has no idea how much each one is and it doesn't say on the packaging either. Anyone know what I'm dealing with?

I believe hops are sometimes sold in "plugs". I'm guessing that's what you have.

You could always weight them. Break them apart if one is more than you need.

i think they're an ounce each, but i'd get a scale to make sure of everything.

Plugs, pucks, same thing? Cool cool. Was thinking they were ounces but wanted to make sure. I have a scale on the way but it won't be here till next week and was planning on brewing tomorrow.

my understanding is they were mainly used to dry hop casks. the plug was shaped to fit through the bung hole, letting the brewer shove one in at the appropriate time before sending it out to a bar. since casks and beer engines are largely a british thing, it makes sense why you mainly see british hops in plug form.

so yeah, 1oz each, expect similar utilization to leaf hops (they should just break up when you toss them in the beer).

Back