Help needed please!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickwitch

Reaction score
Hi I've just done a lager it's been in the bucket 9 days and fermentation seems to have stopped the first reading was 1038 I've just taken another reading and it's 1026. Is this reading still to high to start bottling? Many thanx

That is too high. Along with what ICWiener said there is also the matter of general fermentation time. For lagers this can be months, depending on the strain of yeast and the beer. Do some more research into what you are brewing or follow the instructions closely.

ICWiener, is your name a reference to Futurama?

9 days for a lager? Add another few months at lager temps then give it another test. While you are waiting make a nice pale ale for the summer.

ICWiener, is your name a reference to Futurama?

You betcha. Very favoritest show of all time.

Add another few months at lager temps then give it another test. While you are waiting make a nice pale ale for the summer.

That just about sums it up.

It's a tooheys lager kit fermented at around 22 degrees the instructions say it should finish fermentation between 4-7 days an be ready for bottling.

It's a tooheys lager kit fermented at around 22 degrees the instructions say it should finish fermentation between 4-7 days an be ready for bottling.

You got bum instructions. If it's 22F, that's freezing. If it's 22C, then that's 71F, which is waaaaaaay too warm to ferment a proper lager. And 4-7 days is barely enough time for an ale. A lager should take a minimum of 6 weeks. Minimum. Probably more.

ICWiener said:
You got bum instructions. If it's 22F, that's freezing. If it's 22C, then that's 71F, which is waaaaaaay too warm to ferment a proper lager. And 4-7 days is barely enough time for an ale. A lager should take a minimum of 6 weeks. Minimum. Probably more.

It appears that this is one of those kits that is not really a genuine lager and is probably being brewed with an ale yeast but I agree that time is still to short.

You need to wait until the gravity is stable, no change, I would wait a total another 10 days for a reading and see where it's at

Back