The difference between and temperature of fermenting beer and the environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I live in a country where the temperature is a bit high for the yeast.

I will use a water bath to cool the fermenting wort continuously....and I'd like to know, on average, the difference in temperature of the environment and the wort for better control.

5-10 degrees F for air, 2-5 degrees F for water bath

And when you say 2-5 degrees for the water bath...you mean the wort is 2-5 degrees warmer than the actual water bath?

By the way, when people talk about the temperature that the yeast requires for fermentation....do they talk about the temperature of the wort or the temperature of the air?

Thanks for the reply.

And when you say 2-5 degrees for the water bath...you mean the wort is 2-5 degrees warmer than the actual water bath?

By the way, when people talk about the temperature that the yeast requires for fermentation....do they talk about the temperature of the wort or the temperature of the air?

Thanks for the reply.

Wort temp.

They always refer to wort temp. I ferment my beer in an igloo CUBE cooler that fits my "ale pail" pretty good with the lid open. Then I fill with water. I bought a 50w fishtank heater to increase my temps got my water to 80-85 degrees. If I need to cool it I add an ice pack. Temp control and pitching rates have turned my beers from decent to "wow I made this?!" Lol

5-10 degrees F for air, 2-5 degrees F for water bath
Agree with you on air, but I use a water bath and don't see much more than a half degree difference during the most active fermentation. And that's using a probe directly in the wort to compare.

121783d1368448249-thermometer-measuring-fermentation-temps-mashtemp.jpg

I ferment in water up to the level of the beer. I see .25 -.5 °C tapering off to zero. That’s almost 1 Fahrenheit degree.

I see .25 -.5 °C tapering off to zero. That’s almost 1 Fahrenheit degree.

Can you explain what you are trying to say with this? English is not my 1st language...sometimes things are not as simple for me as for a native speaker. Thanks for the reply.

They always refer to wort temp. I ferment my beer in an igloo CUBE cooler that fits my "ale pail" pretty good with the lid open. Then I fill with water. I bought a 50w fishtank heater to increase my temps got my water to 80-85 degrees. If I need to cool it I add an ice pack. Temp control and pitching rates have turned my beers from decent to "wow I made this?!" Lol

Kuntz, please, do me a favour and tell me what yeast you use...and how the temp-controlled batch and the normal batch with temp-controll turned out to be when you compared them. I'd really appreciate some info on them. Thanks.

Certainly, Elysium. In my observation, the beer is only slightly warmer than the water bath, from a quarter to a half a Celsius degree. As the fermentation slows, there is less heat, and the difference approaches zero.

I have 19L in a glass carboy in a tub containing 23L of water. This is enough water that the level of the water matches the level of the beer.

My guess is that Kuntz is only using 5-10 cm of water to show such a large (2-5 F) difference in water.

Certainly, Elysium. In my observation, the beer is only slightly warmer than the water bath, from a quarter to a half a Celsius degree. As the fermentation slows, there is less heat, and the difference approaches zero.

I have 19L in a glass carboy in a tub containing 23L of water. This is enough water that the level of the water matches the level of the beer.

My guess is that Kuntz is only using 5-10 cm of water to show such a large (2-5 F) difference in water.
Ah...ok...makes perfect sense. I guess I need to figure out what temperature my wort reaches in my own system them (a system I havent tried yet :)). Thanks.

Back