Virtually No Beer Flow- New Poppet/Springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpack

Reaction score
Just replaced the poppets and gaskets on a couple corny kegs.

Now virtually no beer flow unless I really crank on the gas. I will assume the new spring is really tight.

Can I trim the spring or compress it some to get the beer flowing, please advise.

What brand and type of keg are you using? Pin Lock or Ball Lock? Cornelius, Firestone or other? Challenger 6 etc? The more info the better. Can you also send a photo of the post and the poppet? With that info I could answer the question. There are so many variables on this. You might have the wrong poppet for that model?

Ball Lock
They look like Firestone Fittings

Attached (2 on left-what I removed-1 on right what I replaced with). Now that I put them side by side, there is a considerable amount of difference.

You assistance is appreciated.

Harnett-20130507-00080.jpg

That is strange. The Poppets actually look like Cornelius Brand Poppets. The other is a universal poppet. This one looks longer than usual to me, but I don't have one in front of me to look at at the moment. You usually do not have to trim a universal poppet when putting it on a Cornelius keg. What does it say on the side of the keg? Does it say Firestone or Cornelius. It will be engraved into the metal.

If all the posts to that end are considered, it's actually pretty common to have to clip the spring on "universal poppets"...

Cheers!

If they are not working this might be the solution. I don't know where these came from, so they may be different than our "universal poppets", but I just spoke to the two guys that work for me preparing kegs for sale and they said they had never had to trip one of these for a ball lock keg, only for a Pin Lock. It is possible that you are having some other issue. Are you sure that there is not anything restricting these at the base of the dip tube? I will be out of the office Thursday and Friday for a medical procedure, but feel free to call me today at 325-356-5204 if you want to try to troubleshoot this.
Todd
Todd

Todd-

I tore them down inspected my dip tube etc.

The tip of the valve is setting quite proud of the beer fitting. I am just going back to the originals and buy some corny poppets from you guys. THX for your help.

Aaron

Latest posts

Back