How much sugar for 4gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klowneyy

Reaction score
I have 4 gals of raspberry cider that is going to be bottled today. I was wondering how much sugar should I add for carbonation? I have never done a batch this big before so I was just going to guess and use 1 and a half cups of normal sugar

Just don't bottle until everything ferments out (FG: 1.000 or so) unless you plan on stove top pasteurizing. If you are, you can add as much sugar as you want.

Correct, BnB.

Ferment dry, prime with sugar, bottle. Wait for carbonation.

If they want it sweet. Sweeten, bottle, when carb'd...stove top pasteurize to stop fermentation.

For stove top method see the sticky thread at the top of the cider forum.

Pickled_Pepper said:
Correct, BnB.

Ferment dry, prime with sugar, bottle. Wait for carbonation.

If they want it sweet. Sweeten, bottle, when carb'd...stove top pasteurize to stop fermentation.

For stove top method see the sticky thread at the top of the cider forum.
It was at about 1000. I added half a pound of lactose for sweetening

cool. sweetening with lactose won't effect the priming sugar and you won't need to stove top pasteurize to keep from getting bombs.

If you have the ability to weigh your priming sugar it will be a little more accurate. I'm not sure how much a .5 cup would weigh exactly.

Here is a nice little calculator to help with measuring. It says about 2.7 oz of table sugar for 4 gallons at 65ºF. (2.25 vols of CO2)

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Back