Kegerator as fermentation cabinet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyts

Reaction score
I recently bought a BevAir kegerator for $20. The door is rusted to the point it doesn't hang onto the cabinet and the top is loose due to rust. The tower seems as though it will be fine when time to use it and the refrigeration works great. What would be needed to use it as a fermentation cabinet for 5 gal batches? Can I just turn the temp control up to maintain approx 68-70 degrees or will there be more needed. I figure once the bucket is inside I can just strap the door in place to help with temp control and tape the top down to seal it. Ant ideas? I'm trying to make it so I can brew through the summer and since we don't run the A/C much I want a better way to maintain fermentation temps. Thanks for any input.

You will probably need an external temperature controller to keep consistent ale temps, but other than that you should be good to go.

I have an old BevAire that was struggling to stay below 45F in the summer so I took off the tower and now use the unit as a fermentation chamber. With the addition of a dual stage digital controller, I am control fermentation temps year round. Fits two glass carboys as long as one is a 5gal.

Back