Gravity help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Just wanna make sure I'm calculating this correctly. My cider OG was 1.064 and my FG is 1.014. If my calculations are correct I'm sittin at about 6.4% ABV. So, if I back sweeten until I get a reading of 1.022 I should be at about 5.4 as a finished product. Any good gravity wizzes that could check my work? Thanks for any help!

Are you back sweetening with Apple Juice or some sort of sugar? Diluting it with straight up juice will increase your overall volume and reduce your ABV...just adding sugar shouldn't decrease your ABV (at least I don't think it should)

Actually backsweetening with a syrup mixture that is just brown sugar and cinnamon and also some cans of apple juice concentrate.

Depending on the volume of your syrup mixture I don't think you will decrease your ABV all that much. When you raise the FG to 1.022, it's not effecting the alcohol that's already in there. Your ABV will increase just slightly as the sugars are consumed for bottle carbing (not a significant amount though)

I'd say you're pretty close with 6.5% in the end product.

Volume is the key, not the change in gravity. Measure how much liquid you add, and that will get you started towards a new ABV #. :)

Albionwood said:
How did you get your cider to stop fermenting at 1.014? Did you add some unfermentable sugars?

It wasn't completely done that's just where I decided to stop it. I took two gravity readings and they were very close three days apart so I called it good enough. I knew I was doing some serious backsweetening and flavoring anyway. I'm happy how this batch turned out. Got many compliments.

Latest posts

Back