Baseboard radiator wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innocentbp

Reaction score
Has anyone soldered up a "U" shaped section of the pipe with the fins from a hot water baseboard radiator as a wort chiller? I just made a small copper chiller when I flung a 6 foot length of unused heater pipe. I know the fins are great heat transfers and with some creative assembly and some hose I think it would be a great chiller. Please let m know if you've failed or succeeded in this method. Or just some criticism. Thanks. Dannyj

I've never thought of doing this. It may be a possibility that this may work. My reasoning is because in my business, (vacuum heat treat furnace production) we use finned copper tube heat exchangers to cool the inert gas used during the quench phase of the heat treat cycle. On our most recent furnace, we are using 6 circuits of 2" finned copper tube to quickly quench from 1870F.

I'm pretty sure that replacing the inert gas with a different substance in a different phase (wort) would work as well.

However, I may be wrong, but aren't baseboard heaters aluminum? If they are brazed finned copper tube, my next question would be how you plan on fitting enough length into the wort for it to be efficient? I think you mentioned soldering a return bend onto two pieces? Do you think that would be enough?

Ok, ok enough with the questions! Do the experiment and report back! You might be onto something!

Latest posts

Back