Black IPA featuring Mozaic Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuggett

Reaction score
I am planning my first attempt at a black IPA and my LHBS has Mozaic hops available. I have yet to try Mozaic and I am wondering if anyone has comments or suggestions. I am looking for a black, hoppy IPA with moderate roasted malt flavor. Here is my initial recipe for 5.5 gallon...

11 lbs pale
1 lbs munich
.5 lbs blackprinz
.25 oz midnight wheat
.5 lbs crystal 60
.5 lbs carafoam

1 oz Summit(60)
1 oz Mozaic (5)
1.5 oz Mozaic (steep)
1.5 oz Mozaic (DH)

Safale 05

If I am not mistaken, Blackprinz and Midnight Wheat are going to have pretty much the same effect on your beer. They are both debittered black malts effectively. I would use on or the other unless it has been proven that they each add different things to the flavor profile. Maybe some chocolate or pale chocolate in place of of some of the debittered black malts.

Can't comment on the hops as I have never used Mozaic. But the timing of the additions looks good.

Looks like a good suggestion on malts. Here is my revised recipe...

11 lbs pale
1 lbs munich
.5 lbs blackprinz
.5 lbs chocolate
.5 lbs crystal 60
.5 lbs carafoam

1 oz Summit(60)
1 oz Mozaic (5)
1 oz Mozaic (steep)
1 oz Mozaic (DH)

Safale 05

Any thoughts, comments?

I'd leave the blackprinz and the C60 and call it good. Love me some black IPA and that's what I do for mine. About 7% of each in the grain bill.

Not sure where you are located, but the Mosaic are used in Great Lakes Alchemy Hour (Double?) IPA if you're looking for an example of their flavor profile. As for usage rates and times, I have no firsthand knowledge.

Just used Mosaic hops for the first time and love the flavor and especially the aroma they give our IPA. Maybe not as bitter as others...smooth aromatic. Dry hopped with 1oz of Mosaic also.

Hello, In MHO, for a hoppy IPA you might want to bump up the hops for the dry hop in secondary. For my Black IPA I typically use 1/4 lb. per 5 gals. for dry hops.
"New Luna IPA"
Batch size = 10 gals.
21.5 lbs. - Two Row
2 lbs. - Crystal 60L
2 lbs. - Crystal 20L
2 lbs. - Munich
1 lb. - Black Roasted

2 oz. Columbus Hops (17.9 A.A.) 90 min. Boil
1.5 oz. Chinook Hops (12.4 A.A.) 15 min. Boil
1 oz. Centennial Hops Flameout
1 oz. Chinook Hops Flameout
2 oz. Centennial and 2 oz. Chinook to each secondary for Dry Hop.

1 Tbs. Irish Moss 15 min. Boil
2 Pkgs. Safale 04

I have used 2 ounces for 5 days for a dry hop and had amazing results. After a certain point you are just wasting hops. I would say never dry hop with more than 3 ounces, otherwise you are most likely just throwing hops away.

Back