Wine Kit + Honey ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottleItUp

Reaction score
Has anyone made a melomel by mixing kit wine concentrate with honey?

I am considering mixing a fruity red in an inexpensive kit with enough honey to reach 17% ABV, and fermenting to 11% in an effort to produce a sack mead without the typical high ABV burn.

Possibly secondary with dark french oak and cocoa nibs.

What are your thoughts on this? Pitfalls or insight?

Responses much appreciated.

:mug:

I tried a wine kit with Sauvignon Blanc. While I was bottling, I mixed a gallon of it with a gallon of plain ol' wildflower mead (no added tannin or acid), and bottled.

It was my first try with a pyment, and I think its now my favorite of all my experiments.

The mead I used was fermented dry, with no backsweetening (final gravity = 0.998).

One thing I should have done is let the blend sit for a week or two in some 1 gallon carboys. There was some sediment that appeared in the bottles. I rebottled, adding sorbaate and k-meta.

You could, I assume, do a similar thing by adding honey to the juice first, then add water to your desired target gravity, and let them ferment together. However, blending two finished wines will offer better control. I went with a 50/50 mix, but 70/30 might be even better!

I must now try other pyments. Can't wait to do one with red wine!

Latest posts

Back