Belgian Wit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhReally

Reaction score
Hi y'all-

I've got a question about my Wit recipe. Does the steeping procedure described below amount to a kind of mash? I know that wheat malt needs to be mashed, so is this the way to go about it, or would I be better served adding some 2-row etc. in there to help the process?

Any feedback in general on the overall recipe is welcome, too.

Cheers! :mug:

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010

3.3 lbs. Wheat LME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. orange blossom honey (at flameout)

Steep 45 min. @ 148-153 degrees
1 lb. white wheat malt
8 oz. Munich
9 oz. Carapils
1 oz. fresh blood orange zest
.87 oz. crushed coriander

1.2 oz. Tettnang -40 mins.
1.2 oz. Hallertau -flameout

.3 oz. chamomile at flameout

WLP400 w/ starter

By steeping for 45 minutes you are essentially mashing. That should work out fine. Watch that coriander carefully. I used 1 oz in a Belgian Wit about a year or two ago and that beer tasted like I was drinking straight out of a pepper shaker. I would suggest cutting it back to a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce assuming this is a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the feedback. I know what ya mean for the coriander. The first time I brewed this I used 1 oz. and it was a bit much. This amount ain't a whole lot less, but I'm hoping it'll blend a little better with the other flavors this time. I used new methods this time (whole hops, fresh orange, chamomile) so I'm interested to see the balance. It's already bottled at this point, but it's SWMBO's favorite, so I'm sure I'll be giving it another shot in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers!

Glad to hear it came out well for you. Some people really liked the 1 oz but it was just way too much for me. That is the beauty of home brewing...make what you like.

Latest posts

Back