won't fill new co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I just got a refurbished #10 co2 tank from homebrewing.org and went to get it filled and they sayed they couldn't fill it because of the stamp on the side. Has anyone heard of this?

Yeah, these tanks have a date on the side or bottom. Most places will not fill them or replace them if they are too old. I am not sure how long (5 or 6 years sticks in my head but I could be wrong). The idea is that the stamp shows the last time the tank was new or serviced to make sure it holds pressure well (I think).

Wait so every 3 years you have to get a new CO2 tank at great expense? Or is there a simpler process to have it recertified? I was thinking of getting a CO2 system but this might dissuade me. Can anyone who has had a CO2 system give some insight into the maintenance cost?

I believe it has to be recertified every 3 years. I just exchange mine when I need CO2, so I don't ever plan on having to worry about it.

Just exchanged mine it was last certified in 91 they charged me a additional 20 dollar recertification fee but once I have there tank (airgas) I never have to resertify tank they just exchange em.

I think I paid $10-$15 extra when I swapped out my 20# CO2 tank the first time for the recertification. It was really old and rusty. I think the guy I bought it from had it sitting out in a barn or something for like 5+ years. They should just swap it out and charge the recertification fee. Most places don't actually refill your CO2. After your first one, this really doesn't matter, as long as you plan on using all your CO2 within 3 years or whatever, as you just swap them out, instead of refilling the same one.

Although, they may be talking about a welder's stamp, or something of that nature, which means that it belongs to a certain welder or whatever. If that is the case, then I think you would have to contact whoever it says owns it, and have them tell them it is okay, and that it is yours.

If they won't fill it because it is too old, just look around at other shops.

I think it is 5 years for steel and 10 for aluminium. There should be an obvious date stamped on the side of it's last re-cert date. I've seen cylinders with a dozen or more dates from re-certs.

Thing is, if you got a re-furb tank it should have been re-certified. Check the date yourself to verify the veracity of the guy who told you it was out of date.

I guess I am assuming that it is a date issue and not a stamp that says "Property of Coca-cola". That is a different issue. ;)

I think this is the stamp he was talking about.

ForumRunner_20130423_111017.png

ForumRunner_20130423_111017.png

Hydro testing is every 3-10 years depending on dot rating. I paid $12 for mine. I don't think homebrewing.org would sell you a crap tank or one that belongs to a certain company (coke-Pepsi) that has there stamp on it that they can't legally fill. It just needs to be re-certified!

I just called the shop that wouldn't fill the tank. He said it is because there is a stamp below the crown and that with that being there homebrew.org never should've tested it and it should've been condemned.

Question - if I get one of those 4# or 7# tanks from beverage elements, is that something that the LHBS would exchange? Or do they require you to have the standard 5# tank?

Just wondering because the Beverage Elements tanks are like 50% cheaper. Maybe it's because you won't be able to get them exchanged?

I don't know about those. Your best bet would be to call and ask them if they would exchange. Maybe if you had a 7# tank and you were ok with taking a smaller one they would exchange it for a 5#?

I just called the shop that wouldn't fill the tank. He said it is because there is a stamp below the crown and that with that being there homebrew.org never should've tested it and it should've been condemned.

How long ago did you get it? I would contact hombrewing.org and see if something can be worked out!

Steel c02 tanks once hydro tested are good for another 5 years. With that said I bet there is nothing wrong with the tank and it is an issue with the shop you are taking it to to be filled. The guys at adventures are very diligent in making sure the products they sell are what they should be. If you have no other places near by to get the tank filled give them a call @ (313) 277-2739.
I am quite sure they will swap it out for another tank quickly.

I'm thinking I might just throw my aha sticker over the stamp get it filled somewhere else.

I don't think I would trust taking my tank to someone who says "hmm, I can't seem to find the certification stamp on here. Oh well, I'll just fill er up anyway. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?". Also, if there is some reason why the tank should be condemned, I don't think I'd trust it in my house with several pounds of compressed CO2. I mean, bottle bombs are bad enough, but CO2 tank bombs? I would just contact whoever you got it from and ask for a refund/exchange.

Question - if I get one of those 4# or 7# tanks from beverage elements, is that something that the LHBS would exchange? Or do they require you to have the standard 5# tank?

Just wondering because the Beverage Elements tanks are like 50% cheaper. Maybe it's because you won't be able to get them exchanged?

In my experience I could not exchange the #4 I have (its a repurposed steel oxygen tank..I bet that is what they are selling too)...filling it was also a joke as they typically charged you the #5 price to fill the #4 tank. So if you got the #7 you may have to pay the #10 price to fill...an even worse deal.

I finally went with the standard #5 aluminum so I could exchange. If I ever have a day were I'm available when the weld shop is open, I might have them fill my #4 for a backup (another reason why I went with the #5 aluminum...I can exchange it on a Saturday).

To answer your original question, OP, I have ran into a situation like that.

My 20# tank from beverage elements has a bunch of codes stamped on the side but lots of the letters are "x" out. The shop i took it to said they would not have filled it, had I not kept the piece of paper they gave me with the tank. I have it in a zip lock bag, ziptied to the neck of the tank. The filler guy actually called beverage elements at the number listed on that sheet, and I'm guessing they told him what was up with all the stamping and x's.

If I were you I would call homebrewing.org and they can probably work out the same type thing for you. Or, if there is indeed a problem with the tank, they can replace it.

No need to take a risk with your safety.

Take it to an Airgas facility-- they have never charged me for an out of date tank as of yet (taken 3 in so far).

Back