Electric Mashtun heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwitz

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out a good way of doing step mashes for a long time. Adding hot water works but is in my opinion troublesome. I brew with electricity and and indoors so i cant direct fire. Putting an element in my mash is also a no go obviously do to scorching. So im going to build a double boiler. Not a new or even complicated concept. Heat water in a chamber underneath the main vessel. Im going to have a valved inlet for refreshing the boiler water. And an outlet for keeping any pressure buildup regulated. Also a temperature probe to make sure things arnt goin crazy. If it works well im going to adapt the concept over to my boil kettle.

20130428_184626.jpg

I'm no expert on these things, but you may want to consider a HERMS or RIMS system which should meet your requirements and they are probably easier to build. A double boiler should work, I'm just thinking most people that step mash either use HERMS or RIMS and that's probably done for a reason.

Most double boilers encapsulate at least the bottom half of the vessel. I think the bottom only idea would work as long as you recirculate the mash to distribute the heat applied at that focused spot. I don't think it would work on the boil kettle. You'd need to run steam to get it hot enough to boil the interior contents.

Back