Another US-05 experiment... temperature fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great experiment. I'm a Notty user but for no good reason other than that's what I've gotten used to. Been thinking of giving US-05 a shot in a light blonde this summer. Subscribed!

I am interested in this because all I have to temp control is sinking the fermenter in a washtub in the laundry room and changing the water twice a day. I can usually keep it down to 68. It's hard to keep it lower. I want to get a good ferment chamber but am having trouble finding the funds and room.

I started out using 05 but recently started using white labs yeast and am not convinced that I like them better. If 05 can do the job at a higher temp then I prefer that.

I live in south MS and the climate is much warmer than what others have.

I am interested in this because all I have to temp control is sinking the fermenter in a washtub in the laundry room and changing the water twice a day. I can usually keep it down to 68. It's hard to keep it lower. I want to get a good ferment chamber but am having trouble finding the funds and room.

I started out using 05 but recently started using white labs yeast and am not convinced that I like them better. If 05 can do the job at a higher temp then I prefer that.

Instead of changing the water twice a day, you could freeze some water bottles and rotate them in once or twice a day to keep the water temperature down. You would save a bunch of water and you'll probably be able to keep it below 68F.

All of the beers are now at 1.008. It took longer for the 60 degree sample to get there, but it did reach it.

No tastings, but the 68 sample has cleared really well, while the 60 and 64 are still very hazy.

No off smells or anything.

I did nearly exactly what Kai does here and this is both cheap and very effective if you can handle some very light wiring. All of the wiring diagrams you'll need for the cheap (STC-1000 type) temperature controller can be found on this site. The controller will run you about $20 and you can use whatever submersible pump you can get.

I live in Charleston, SC so I too know about heat.

Looking forward to the final tasting notes. I predominantly use WL 007, but am interested in US 05 to keep on hand occasionally purely out of convenience, and would love to know how slight temp differences change the taste with this strain.

I love this. Can't wait to see what the final tasting notes are. I'll be using some 05 soon for my spring/summer brews, and I feel like I may be fermenting too high. Thanks golfduke.

Clicking “Thread Tools” then “subscribe to thread” would make this much easier to read.:)

I could not agree more! If the OP wants to gauge interest in his thread, he can look at "my threads" and see how many views he has on this one. Please, no more "subbed" posts without anything to add but your post count.

I've just always fermented 05 around 64 with pretty good results. I am very interested in the side by side comparison as I am about in the middle. Nice experiment OP!

haha, first things first, I don't really mind or care about all of the 'subbed' posts except it's just a little harder for people to find the notes and valuable information throughout them. I'll amend my first post once this is all over though, so post away if you wish. If not, that's cool too!

I was away from the house from Thursday-Monday touring some of the Finger Lakes best breweries, so there isn't much in terms of notes. Tonight I'm going to be taking some pictures, as I feel some interesting developments have been made-

- The 60 sample flocculated/cleared EXTREMELY fast. We're talking now that it finished almost 3 days later than the 64 sample and is visibly clearer than both the 64 and 68 samples...

- The noses/tastes are similar, but each sample is slightly different. There is more deviation between the 60 and 68 samples, with the 60 sample having a really subtle and soft fruit/spring flower/herbal note. I would say that the 64 is cleanest, as the 60 still has a bit of diacetyl to it. I'm hoping the cold temp and quick floc didn't prevent the beer from cleaning up completely. The 68 is kind of in the middle. It's odd- clean nose, but not nearly as pronounced in flavors as the other samples. At this point, I guess I'd say it's a bit more subdued all around in terms of nose and flavor. Almost as if it's a slightly diluted version of the 64 sample.

Nice work golfduke. How long do you plan on keeping the samples in the fermenter? Now that the beer has reached the estimated F.G. are you going to let the yeast clean up a bit?

Here's my take on fermentation.

- Secondary is only used if dryhopping or aging big beers, otherwise it's primary only.
- The beer stays on the yeast cake at fementation temp for either 3 weeks OR 2 weeks after final gravity is reached, whichever comes last.

That puts this beer coming out right around the 28th... I'm going to bottle a 6-pack of each, then the rest are going into kegs. I corn sugar prime my kegs and they'll store for 3 weeks before putting gas on it.

Interesting. Thanks for the effot. When done you could put this in a wiki or a sticky w all the sub posts deleted.

i have at least 5 brews that i have fermented at 60F .. and by me saying 5 that is all i have done as of now.. for now my basement is a steady 60F. and i have only used US 05. .. thanks for the experiment.

OT: Doesn't anyone not on a mobile app just scroll through the sub'd posts anyway? I mean honestly, I've got 50 posts per page and it takes like 10 seconds to scroll through a page of them.

I dont see thread tools at the top i only see my threads . Enlighten me:)
Long version of subbed.

Now that I've been brewing for 5 months, I wish I had a basement. Some areas of my house are 65-68 but with summer coming i'll have to watch what i'm brewing because temps are going to get high...

Thanks for doing this experiment.. I use S-05 a lot myself

I dont see thread tools at the top i only see my threads . Enlighten me:)
Long version of subbed.

It's not all the way at the top of the page. Look just above the first post on a page, and you'll see "LinkBack" "Thread Tools" "Search this Thread" etc.

Aaaaayyyy!

fonzsharkjump-300x300.jpg

Wow and it keeps on giving. Just learned meaning of "jumped the shark" for example.

Really though I think we may be due for some sort of wrap up from the OP after final product has conditioned and been tasted...

haha, I love this thread.

Anyways, They're going into kegs tonight. I was busy in mulch beds all weekend, so I didn't get a chance to rack them. I'll take pics tonight.

I'm just starting out brewing and US-05 is one of the only yeasts I have access to so this is awesome!

I just brewed a batch at 60F two days ago and it seemed to take about 26+ hours before I notice any bubbles or head forming. However I am brewing at 9300ft so I wonder if that has anything to do with it... hmmmm

I love this thread too...I've brewed something like 25 batches in a row with us-05' mostly 2nd and 3rd generations...

I think this would be interesting to see repeated by other brewers working with a variety of worts/styles. I'm using this yeast to make a lot of different beers, would be interested to understand if results with one style are applicable to another style.

Back