Carbonation Variances With Bottling - Start Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on carbonation with bottling vs. kegging :(. I bottle only but I'm looking to switch to kegging for more consistent carbonation. Wonder if I'm doing something wrong or how I should troubleshoot...

First Batch: Imperial Blonde Ale (OG 1.082, FG 1.012, ABV of ~8.5%) Bottled 4 gallons Feb. 1st and overshot the priming by using dextrose 5oz. Conditioning at 68-70 degrees over 2 months. Carbonation at 2 months is slightly high but still drinkable. Carb peaked about 2 weeks after bottling and remains consistent.

Second Batch: Belgian Tripel (OG 1.087 FG 1.016, ABV of 9.5%) 6 weeks in primary and secondary before bottled 4 gallons on March 1st with 5oz dextrose. ~1 month after bottling (today) and still flat. Very little carbonation that amounts to <1cm head dissipates in 30 seconds with no bubbles/carbonation. Conditioning at 68-70 degrees. Very disappointed. This is the Dragonmead Final Absolution clone that many have also voiced carb problems with.

Third Batch: Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA (OG 1.087 FG 1.018, ABV of 9.2%) 5 weeks in primary and secondary before bottled 4.5 gallons March 2nd with 5oz dextrose. Condition 68-70 degrees. Room temp flat today. No carb. No head. Decent flavor but just no carb bite to help the bitterness. Again, disappointed.

Fourth Batch: "Easy Wheat" Hefeweizen (OG 1.049, FG 1.012, ABV 4.9%) Bottled 4.5 gallons with 6.5oz table sugar April 3rd. Carbs perfect for style after one week. Can pour nice thick head than retains at room temp, however when chilled in the fridge (24hours) it loses much of the carb. Pleasantly surprised.

My technique usually consists of boiling priming sugar and adding to bottom of bottling bucket and then siphoning from carboy to the bucket to mix well. Give it a few stirs and then bottle. I don't get why two of the batches had good carbonation (especially the hefe in such a short amount of time) while the IIPA and Tripel have been over a month with nothing. Is it the high ABV? If so, why did the blond turn out alright? Should pour out and add some yeast and rebottle? I'v heard it work for some. Am I just impatient?

Force carbing in a keg is more controlled and more consistent. Also if you overcarb or undercarb it is easy to fix.

Your technique looks ok to me, but naturally carbonating has many more variables and thus is more likely to be inconsistent (yeast viability, temp, ...).

Just one of many good reasons to keg.

So looking for further advice....

I have two major clones about 2-4 weeks from bottling and I'm looking for recommendations.

Hopslam clone:
Brewed March 14
Secondary on April 14
To be bottled May 5

OG 1.084
FG at Secondary transfer 1.014
Abv 9.4%

How to carb? Should I add yeast prior to bottling? How much? Extra sugar? Based on my last two high grav beers I'm leery of methods and techniques to get it carbed appropriately. I'd rather not wait until the fall for this beer but don't mind a month. Initial ferment temp in primary was 68-70 and is currently 61-69 in the basement. 4.5 gallons. How much sugar/yeast? Any?

Stone Enjoy By Clone
Brewed April 4th
Secondary on April 19th
To be bottled May 16

OG 1.102
FG at Secondary transfer 1.028
Abv 10%

This beer is a personal clone attempt of my current favorite. It tastes amazing right now and I'd like it to be carbed and ready for competition by June 20th. Ferment temps were 68-70. Currently 68-70 in secondary. Any recommendations as far as sugar/yeast/my standard technique? About 4 gallons of this now.

Any opinions/suggestions/help is appreciated!

Back