Allergic to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmac2050

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS to get the ingredients for my first AG brew this weekend. Turns out I am allergic to all grain. As I started my crush, and the small cloud of dust rose from the mill, my asthma and allergies went crazy. By the time I was at the register, until an hour after I got home I was sneezing and couldn't breathe well. NBD, I've been living with this as long as I remember, but caught me off guard - I thought barley would be inert once it was killed.

It's the dust. Gets me too, although not quite as bad as you describe. If you can mill your own grain at home, conditioning the malt (with water spritz)and ventilating the area will help.

I sometimes get asthma for the rest of the day after I get my grain from the LHBS. I don't get asthma normally. It's just the super fine barley dust gets in my lungs. I've very careful to take deep breaths away from the dust and hold my breath when I need to be in it a little.

You can always take one of those crappy little painters masks with you or buy your own barley crusher. Don't give up on all grain though, totally worth a little unpleasantness.

This will work...
biohazard-suit.jpg

...as long as your eyes are spaced fairly wide and you're missing your right ring finger :D

Edit: To be on topic though, call in your order beforehand and just pick it up when you arrive. This is pretty standard for most LHBS.

+1 to that, I was surprised the first time this happened to me.

Now we have our own mill, too... so we mill outside. :)

We also mill into a large tupperware type bin, with the mill mounted onto the lid... this keeps down the dust dramatically, even with our fine milling, so I don't have much of a problem any more...

Latest posts

Back