In the market for a 25+ gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I have a 22 gallon Brewhemoth on the way so it's time to step up from my sanke keggle to bigger one. I think I want a 25 gallon kettle to enable full use of the fermenter. Ultimately it will need to have a drain (bottom would be awesome!!), port for thermocouple, nut for electrical element; a tangential inlet would be a huge bonus. Brewers Hardware offers exactly what I want in a 20 gallon version but I'm afraid it's not big enough. Stout has some that would likely due but they're special order and I haven't seen any reviews on them. I'd like to spend no more than $500. Anyone have any suggestions for kettles?

New will run you $545, but it has all the bells and whistles you will want/need including a lid, brewmometer, sight glass, pick-up tube, and valve...

It looks like Spike Brewing does custom TIG welding, I wonder if they have 1" NPS fittings in stock for an electrical element? Looks like I'll have to send a message.

Thats not a bad deal at all. I have done a lot of stainless soldering and brazing on my brewery. I could probably complete it for $200. I wonder what the thicknees is? Does 18/10 refer to the gauge? Anyone have experience with this pot?

18/10 is the grade of stainless steel.

Yes, they are pool filter housings. When I get them they look like crap and it takes a lot of work to clean them up and convert them but you can't beat the price. I pay $30 for the pot and about $30 to have the couplings welded on if I pre-drill them first.

Thats not a bad deal at all. I have done a lot of stainless soldering and brazing on my brewery. I could probably complete it for $200. I wonder what the thicknees is? Does 18/10 refer to the gauge? Anyone have experience with this pot?

The thickness is 1mm. 18/10 means it has 18% Chromium and 10% Nickel which is also more commonly referred to as 316 stainless. These however are not 18/10 they are 18/8 which is 304 stainless. You'll be hard pressed to find an 18/10 (316) kettle. It's more expensive and completely not needed for this application.

I believe the Ebay Concord kettle is the same pot as the Spike kettle.

Incorrect. Our kettles have different dimensions, ours are thicker and we have higher quality control standards.

Spikebrewing - Couple questions 1) I have to have a 1" NPS nut; do you have them in your stock 2) have you ever welded a tangential inlet 3) ever installed a bottom drain on one of these? I really hate not being able to open the valve an let crap drain out when I'm cleaning like I can with my HLT and MLT. Obviously there are some considerations for the pot to rest on the stand but I can handle that.

Back