Multiple additions of gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I have two kegs of cream ale that I am going to serve to the Bmc crowd in ten days. The beer has cleared nicely and I like it but its not my style. This one was made to please the masses. I want to remove some of the hop flavor/bitterness. I have used gelatine twice and am storing it at 34 degrees, would more gelatine accomplish my goal. Again.....this beer is good but I need to lighten the hop character a bit.

You could try to balance some of the bitterness out with something like lactose, other than that I don't think there's a way to remove any bitterness or hoppiness other than time. If you had brewed two batches, one more better than the other, you could blend them to your personal taste.

Yea, gelatine isn't doing anything other than pulling (mostly) yeast out of the beer. It should sparkle when you're done, but it does nothing to the bitternes. I think unless your beer is a real crazy cream ale, the bitterness should not be offensive to a BMC drinker. Really, time is the best way to mellow out hops (doing this at room temp will be faster), but it sounds like you have some event in mind. In any event, a long period at near freezing temps or even just serving temp will crisp up the beer and make it a bit more BMC friendly. Absolutely DON'T add anything to the beer at this point.

Yeah party is in 8 days......its clearing nice and the hops are mellowing day by day. I think the hop flavor tasted stronger when the beer wasnt fully carbed.

Back