Help figuring out what i did wrong?? :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmittyisLEGEND

Reaction score
I've done three batches of homebrew that I bought pre made at my local brew store. It's grains and extract recipes. I'll explain my process which I do and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
First I sanitized table tops and I get a Tupperware tote and fill it with five gallons of water and an ounce of star San. I get 2.5 gallons of water in my brew pot (20qt Steele lot I bought at Fred metered) and get it up to 150. Throw everything in the trippers are container to sanitize . I put the grains in my nylon bag and hold the steeping temperature at 150 for 45 minutes and I strain for 5 by holding it above the pot making sure not to squeeze it to force the water out. Once that's done I bring the wort to a boil and pull of hear and add the malt extra e normally the liquid. Once done I bring it back to a boil and add the first set of hols and leave my burner on high to maintain the boil. Once I hit 15 minutes left in the boil of 60 I add Irish moss and the last art of hops the wort. Pull off the burner and add it to my sink filled with water and I e and bring it down to 70 degrees which takes about 30 minutes. Once done I dump it into my glass 6.5 gallon carboy and use a funnel with a strainer to filter spent hop pellets out. Put the clean airlock and bung plug in after I add the yeast and a irate for a good 3-4 minutes and put it in my room at about 65 degrees for a week or so and boost the temperature up a few degrees until I hit the three week mark

Then I take samples and keep an eye on it, and cold crash when the beer is ready and put it to the keg. Kegs at 40 degrees and use 12 pounds of pressure and carb for at least a week. Sorry for grammar errors and missing parts. Typing on iPhone and can only see first paragraph....

So what's wrong? You didn't say what you are having a problem with. Does it taste bad? Does it explode? Also wouldn't hurt to check your grammar/punctuation, some of your sentences are hard to decipher.

Sorry hard to type on this phone and lost where I was at... I did top of to 5 gallons with bottled spring water. And I added hops after the extract, 2 oz at start of 60 minute boil and another 2.5 oz at 15 minutes left in boil. The problem with te beer is that it is an ipa and I did three weeks in primary at 65 degrees for first week and then 70 for the last two weeks an when I tested the gravity it was at 1.011 which is normal according the the gravity the brew store provided( couldn't take starting gravity since I broke hydrometer). But when I tasted the sample 3 weeks in before cold crashing at 40 for 4 days it had a bad off taste. It kind of tasted like how cat pee smells, but it was only for a second.. The after taste wasn't too bad and smelt good.

That's skunked,or lightstruck. Sounds like you didn't cover the primary &/or secondary to keep light off it. Or at least in a dark place.

I placed a blanket over the top but my drunk roommate took it off one night... Think that's enough to ruin it?

Well,you said the taste went by real quick,as if it were light. Maybe put it in a secondary in a dark place & see what happens. You may wind up dumping it?...

Just throwing this out there. It could be a certain type of hop he's getting that cat pee flavor from. Citra, Simcoe, and Chinook are all known to do that for some people.

Okay I'll give that a go and see if it conditions out, and I know I used cascade hop pellets but can't recall what the other ones were..

thood6 said:
Just throwing this out there. It could be a certain type of hop he's getting that cat pee flavor from. Citra, Simcoe, and Chinook are all known to do that for some people.

This sounds likely. What was the bittering hop? I mean the first addition that got the full boil...

Lightstruck flavors are closer to a skunky smell, not cat pee. Ill bet it was the hops....

the beer is not carbonated. its not finished. you still don't know what it will taste like. wait to see how it tastes once its carbonated. RDWHAHB

garagedweller said:
the beer is not carbonated. Its not finished. You still don't know what it will taste like. Wait to see how it tastes once its carbonated. Rdwhahb

+10

I'll have to check the recipe when I get home for the buttering hops in which I used. So I have it cold crashing right now... Is that bad or will it still have the chance to condition out?

Back