Which size tubing to us with pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopman

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just getting my first pump this spring and I am wondering what most people use for tubing size with there pumps. 3/8 or 1/2? obviously this will make a difference in what tubing and barbs I buy. Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

Look at the port size on your pump and try to use tubing at least that large. Be aware that some tubing becomes really soft when used with hot liquids and it can collapse when use on the suction inlet side of the pump.

+1 on processhead's post. Too small a tubing size on the inlet will cause the pump to cavitate as it will be starved for liquid. Silicone tubing, will pricey, doesn't collapse as it warms up so is usually recommended for any hot wort. It is also easily cleaned and doesn't stain.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am going to go with 1/2 inch tubing like most suggested. I plan on using the high temp silicone tubing sold on most home brewing supply websites, since it can handle up to 500 degrees and I will want to use the pump for cooling as well.

also watch on the 1/2" silicone tubing. Most of the big sites that advertise here sell the good silicone hose with the 1/8" walls. So its 1/2" ID and 3/4 OD. There is a thin wall version that you should avoid.

Back