Watermelon Wheat Beer success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBTrublife

Reaction score
So I just tasted my watermelon wheat beer and it turned out amazing so I thought I'd share my success and recipe with others that are wanting the same. I did a 10 gallon batch that was split into two 5 gallon batches that had different yeasts so that one could be a hefe and the other a watermelon wheat so here's the recipe for the 10 gallon batch:

10# Pilsner malt
10# White Wheat
1# Carapils
1# Rice Hulls
mashed in at 155 for 60 min and ran off about 12 gal for a 90 min boil

I used 3oz of Hallertau Mittlefruh at 60 min

5 gal got WB-06 which is getting bottled this week and the other 5 got Wyeast 1007 I didn't use a starter and the fermentation took off wonderfully

Once the bubbles in my airlock slowed down I racked the half with the 1007 onto 2.5 qts of freshly juiced watermelon (seedless) and 2# of rind pieces with the green skin cut off I then transferred to my carboy with a blow off tube that was constantly having to be cleaned so after 3 days I put my beer back into a 7.5 gal bucket for a couple days until the fermenting stopped I then bottled the beer into my three tap a draft bottles 2 of them receiving 1/3 cup of priming sugar (in the bucket not per bottle) and 1 I refrigerated overnight and then force carbonated with the systems CO2 regulator the following day after a few days the force carbonated beer was ready to drink and came out wonderfully using the tap a draft system.

I'm new to homebrewing and haven't had any overwhelming success stories yet so I was eager to share this one with the brewing community. Any advice or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated and I wish everyone the best of luck with their spring and summer brews!

Cheers!

Everett

tgmartin000 said:
Is 1007 the kolsch yeast? I'm going to use that for my wheat next time.

German Ale, just used it in a Gose and its fermenting well. It likes colder temps, mine was pitched at 50 and its chugging away at 58 right now and I'll hold it there until it slows and go up to 62 with it until done

Thanks for the additional tips. Glad it worked out well for you. I'm getting ready to go down this road too. Can you give an idea of what IBU and ABV you were shooting for? I'm going to be scaling it down and maybe using different hops, so I'd like to get somewhere near a known target before I start tweaking.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the additional tips. Glad it worked out well for you. I'm getting ready to go down this road too. Can you give an idea of what IBU and ABV you were shooting for? I'm going to be scaling it down and maybe using different hops, so I'd like to get somewhere near a known target before I start tweaking.

Thanks for the info!

I was going for 33 IBU and 4.5 ABV 1.045 OG

Glad to hear yours went well. Mine is still young yet, but after about a week and a half I sampled and it was so bad I dumped it out after 2 drinks. Still young so there is some hope, but I am not holding my breath.

I will be doing things completely different for my next attempt at watermelon

Glad to hear yours went well. Mine is still young yet, but after about a week and a half I sampled and it was so bad I dumped it out after 2 drinks. Still young so there is some hope, but I am not holding my breath.

I will be doing things completely different for my next attempt at watermelon

what was it that tasted bad about the beer?

Back