Aging Strong ale, When to transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I have a Barleywine that is very close to finishing fermentation. It began at 1.114 and is now at 1.028. Its close but who knows when it will be done. I plan on storing it for around 6 months in a fridge in my garage that I have manipulated the thermostat to keep it cycling from 55f to 61f. What I'm thinking is to transfer it to the secondary before it is completely done fermenting so I will get co2 to fill the void of the better bottle so it doesn't set for 6 months with oxygen contact. I will transfer it to 5.5g better bottle and let it sit at 65f to 68f until there is no more bubble activity for about 5 days before moving to fridge( I know that's not a indication, but I know the difference between bumping the container and/or temp changes. I'm home all the time and watch it like a hawk.) But it has been steady bubbles 1-2 every min for past 3 days. 8 days into ferm now. Or would it be better to just let it completely finish in the primary ?

Let a beer reach FG before racking to anything. And the secondary aging vessel should have very little airspace left to keep it from getting infected. What little airspace there is will be filled by co2 in solution at racking time.

What little airspace there is will be filled by co2 in solution at racking time.

What do you mean "will be filled by co2 in solution? Are you saying that co2 will still be forming after the fermentation is complete and fill the void? Maybe caused by the mixing up of fluids when racking causing a little more fermentation?

No. since fermentation produces alcohol & co2,not all of it goes out the airlock. The fermenter does maintain a certain amount of pressure. The beer keeps some co2 in solution as it ferments,which does produce a swirling action. Racking to secondary after FG is reached can cause it to bubble out of solution. It should fill the very small head space in secondary enough to keep it safe.

Back