Back sweetening with different cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klowneyy

Reaction score
I am thinking about back sweetening my cider but using a different cider. Would that work and Would I be able to just add in?

Yooper said:
Yes, but you'd either have to stabilize first to prevent fermentation from recurring, or to plan on pasteurizing to avoid bottle bombs.

I was planning on using Potassium Sorbate to kill any yeast before I added it

I was planning on using Potassium Sorbate to kill any yeast before I added it

Sorbate does not kill yeast. It creates an environment, when combined with k-meta, that the yeast simply do not reproduce in. Any live yeast will continue to use available sugar but the yeast will not reproduce. This is why the sorbate/k-meta is added when must has reached its natural FG.

So what would be the best way to back sweeten?

You still use sorbate and campden (potassium metabisulfite). It's just that you have to wait until the cider is completely done fermenting, clear, and is no longer dropping lees at all after at least 60 days. That means that there is little yeast left in suspension. At that time, the cider is racked onto a solution of about 1/2 cup boiling water, 1/2 teaspoon sorbate per gallon and 1 campden tablet per gallon (crushed and all dissolved). After about three days, the sweetener can be added. That can be cider concentrate, honey, sugar, juice, etc. Then, after three days with no sign of fermentation restarting, then it can be bottled.

Back