Trubble. Please help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
Okay so I have made two kit beers so far. A black lager and a batch of caribou slobber. Both of them contain a very slight soapy aftertaste. I was baffled at first because I take great care in my sanitation process and use a no rinse sanitizer. After a bunch of research and reading from my new book "how to brew" I learned that soapy after flavored can be produced from fermenting with large amounts of trub or that gunk after boiling. Do you guys agree? Am I screwing up royaly by allowing this gunk into my fermenter? Any other suggestions. Again the brew is not ruined, simply a small almost soapy off flavor. Please help.

I suspect that whatever you are using to clean your equipment is still left. I use oxiclean and hot water with a rinse. Then cold water and star san.

How long are you leaving your beer in primary? I would guess that trub is NOT the issue unless you are leaving it there for months. Look at your cleaning and rinsing regimen first.

I found a slightly soapy flavor in beers that weren't really ready to drink. Still quite hazy and under carbonated. Since I don't get much trub in the fermenter I couldn't say if that is the cause for sure, but it would lead to more yeast and proteins that need to settle before your beer is really ready to drink.

Bob

My lager has been bottle conditioning for 1 month now and the carbonation is perfect but it still contains that slight soapy taste. Give it more time?

For my cleaning I use Premium A cleaner then I rinse that and use 1step sanitizer and its a no rinse. I just don't think this flavor is coming from my cleaning, however I may be wrong.

When I first started drinking IPAs I thought they were a bit soapy on the finish. Turns out that I just wasnt used to the taste of some hops, and my brain interpreted it as "soapy". If this is the case with you, you will find that over time this will go away.

Back