The Role of Alcohol in bitterness and dryness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
I know the BU:GU ratio is a metric that can be used to determine malty or bitter but it doesn't factor in the dryness of the alcohol content of the beer.

In other words, would a high ABV beer (with no hops) still need bitterness added and at what point (ABV) would it balance with the malt?

1.) What is the role of alcohol in the bitterness and dryness of a beer?
2.) Is there a formula that includes the alcohol content, ibu and gravity in the bitterness?
3.) Is there a measure of dryness and Is there a formula for calculating the dryness of a beer?
4.) At what point does the alcohol content start to affect the dryness? Are there any charts such as ABV vs dryness?
5.) What is the interaction between bitterness and dryness?

Is this an essay question?

It may seem that way with all the questions I have, but maybe this is the wrong forum. I'm sure a moderator will move it to where they think is appropriate.

Alcohol itself tastes slightly sweet. Grains that are heavy in beta-glucans (rye, wheat, oats) add a creaminess to the mouthfeel that is not indicated by hydrometer readings. Certain yeasts (saison especially) produce glycerol, which adds sweetness/fullness without raising the gravity. Other than that, you can read a lot more on the uselessness of BU:GU here: http://klugscheisserbrauerei.wordpress.com/beer-balance/

Back