Just bottled brown ale–I'm worried...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I just bottled a Moose Drool clone I got from my LBS and worried now that my FG is pretty far off it's target. It's supposed to be 1.014-1.015 and mine was at approx 1.020. I took the measurement after I added the 1.25 cups of bottling extract that was included in my kit.

I had it in the primary for 2 weeks and the secondary for 2 weeks. I thought it was pretty close to the correct FG when I racked it. Could the bottling malt cause such a spike?

Should I be worried about bottle bombs?

If you took the reading after you added the priming agent, that throws it off and will make it artificially higher.

Yeah, I figured it would make it a little higher with the bottling sugar added but do you think it would raise it that much?

The fermentation simply finished at 1.020 and Thisbe a common occurrence with all extract beers due to the fermentabity of the extract, pitch rate, aeration and fermentation temperature, as well as being a new brewer that hasn't gotten all the steps down and their importance in getting good attenuation.

Yes the priming solution through off the reading but 2 cups into 5 gallons is not moving the beer 5 Points

Also, you may want to check your hydrometer to see if just water reads 1.000

I have two and both are off a bit (one high, one low). I have them marked on the case with a sharpie so I can compensate.

Don't worry about bottle bombs. If the yeast didn't ferment the sugar in the fermenter it isn't going to ferment it in the bottle.

Back