Blichman gun and root beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesseedge

Reaction score
New to kegging and was wondering if the same rules apply to the gun as do the tap in regards to line length. After tons of research I had come to the consensus that 30psi on 30' of 3/16 line was the average to get the correct pour. Has anyone tried the gun on root beer. Do I need to go buy 30 more feet of line to dedicate to the gun and maintain 30psi while dispensing into the bottles? Thanks in advance for any help.

On a side note I've read a few posts about those spiral inserts for your dip tube allowing much shorter lines but there hasn't been much feedback. Anyone got more advice on this. This could possibly help with the gun as well. I'd love to get down to 6-10 feet of line as I have a glass door on my kegerator and this would tidy things up a bit. Also with those inserts do you still maintain 30 psi for carbing and dispensing with the much shorter line.

I have a blichman beer gun but I have only used it a couple of times. It is a recent purchase. I did get the gun as well as the accessory kit and I think that comes with
10 feet of line.

FWIW I think 30 psi is going to be way to high and you will have a hard time with the foam. The owner of my LHBS recommended this set up for me. I have two regulators so I set the gas line at a higher pressure but the psi on the to the keg I set pretty low, maybe around 4. Just enough to push out the beer. The gas line connection is used to flush the bottle with co2. If you have that pressure higher you just give a couple of quick hits with co2. You then pull the trigger to dispense the beer and that is the one that you have at a lower pressure. The first time I used it, I had the beer line pressure higher and I was getting a lot of foam. This way that the LHBS recommended worked better for me. Once I am done dispensing I turn my pressure back up on the keg to its normal pressure.

If you have one regulator and are going to split the output, I would still plan on using a lower pressure. The 30 foot line will help but I think you can just get by with dispensing at a lower pressure and just flush the bottle a little longer.

Back