Should I pay $25 for this brew event??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
Or am I being a cheapskate ??

A ticket to the event comes with a commemorative Pilsner glass and 10 4-ounce tastings. Additional tastings may be purchased.

Or should I just spend $5 to get in? $25 seems steep for a glass & 10 four ounce tastings..........

The Gnarly Hops and Barley Fest, taking place on Saturday, April 27, 2013, from Noon – 6:00 PM in the Spencer Street Parking Lot, will feature live music, great local food, and of course great brews, all located in the Culpeper Downtown area -- a great American Main Street award winner.
Sample Virginia and nationally brewed beers, including area favorites like Devil's Backbone, Starr Hill, and Bold Rock Cider. With over 40 different beer selections available, there will be something for everyone -- maybe even discover a new favorite!
Delicious local food will be the perfect accompaniment with provisions from Culpeper Cattle Company, Culpeper Cheese Company, Glory Days, Kababs ‘N’ More, Radishes and Roses, Piedmont Steakhouse, and The Restaurant. Live music by Aberdeen Green will kick off the festivities followed by "the genuine songwriting & voice" of Bryan Elijah Smith & the Wild Hearts.

The deal with life in general is that everyone speaks with an agenda, either intentional or not, most of this speech is directed at survival, and money, being viewed as the sole means of survival in modern society, is the focus of most if not all agendas, thus the phrase, 'The Love of Money is the Root of All evil.'

Hence your decision should be based on the amount of love you endear for the subject at hand. Love being higher and more sincere than money.

I've found that MOST brew fests are staffed not by the brewers but rather by distributors and volunteers who will gladly refill your glass if you TIP accordingly.

Probably a better deal than the SLC beer fest.

Our beer fest happens to be during Oktoberfest. I go to Oktoberfest.

I've found that MOST brew fests are staffed not by the brewers but rather by distributors and volunteers who will gladly refill your glass if you TIP accordingly.

A lot of the brewfest when I was in Northern VA were that way. Don't offer your ticket and half the time they didn't ask. Though you usually had better luck when it was someone with the brewery or distributor than a volunteer who was afraid they would get in trouble if the didnt ask

Depends, it's a little steep, but it's not too bad. Assume the glass is 5 bucks. You're basically paying (assuming 12 oz pours which likely isn't the case if it's a strong beer) you're paying about 6 bucks a pint at a bar. Which isn't cheap, but it's not terrible either. I guess it would depend on if there's another draw to going there.

Depends, it's a little steep, but it's not too bad. Assume the glass is 5 bucks. You're basically paying (assuming 12 oz pours which likely isn't the case if it's a strong beer) you're paying about 6 bucks a pint at a bar. Which isn't cheap, but it's not terrible either. I guess it would depend on if there's another draw to going there.

If it is set up like the other fest in NOVA, it is probalby a 2-3oz tasting. VA laws don't allow unlimited drink events, so they do the ticket thing. When I was there I wouldn't say they were worth the $ for the amount of beer, but if it's nice weather, it is a good chance to get outside, get a nice selection of beers that you normally don't get in one place, and do some people watching. If you have had all the beer on the list, then probably not worth it, but I'm always up for trying new beers I haven't had before and it's a good way to do it.

Back