accidental infection in Braggot. looks like Brett. Can i "save" it by adding brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We made a braggot, that was supposed to be for our wedding in august. however, i noticed today that it looks infected. It was perfectly healthly all through primary, we transferred on sunday to secondary and now it has a film on top of the beer.

I have looked at photos online and here, and believe it to be some sort of brettanomyces. the film has no bubbles to it, but looks kind of white or ashy, possibly a bit powdery?

I figure this one is a loss as far as wedding beer goes, however, i am wondering if we couldn't just infect it with a White labs or Wyeast strain of Brett or other funky bugs and let it go as a sour braggot.

Alcohol was 9% when checked during transfer.

can you "save" a beer with brett? if so, what strain should we use? we have about 9 to 12 different strains to choose from.

I will post a photo if i can get it to upload.

ForumRunner_20130424_172102.png

ForumRunner_20130424_172111.png

Not a great set of photos, but this is what I have.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130424_172134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130424_172134.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 215
  • ForumRunner_20130424_172154.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130424_172154.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 195
If it already has brett in it, why add anything else?

How long before the wedding. It may still be OK. Taste it in a few weeks and see what is happening.

At 9% I would have thought it hard to get an infection.

The reason we are thinking of adding Brett or other funky bugs is that we have no idea what is trying to live in there now. Maybe we need a stronger `good` bugs to overtake whatever is trying to grow.

Back