T-58 Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
What are some ideal Belgians to make with this yeast? Does anyone have a recipe they'd like to share?

I've only had a few Belgians, and I know that I did not like bubblegum or banana in my beer.

I like most any style as long as it has some flavor and is at least 4.7% ABV.

I've looked mostly at a blonde or golden strong. I haven't had a pale, dark strong, or triple.

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

I've read how, despite the claim of a wide temperature range upwards of 80, some have stated it's not pleasant, and to keep the temp below 70. Anyone have experience with this?

I have one packet that should arrive to today for use some time down the road.

A Belgian Golden would do great with this yeast, so would a Dark Strong.

If you want to keep the Banana/Clove down just ferment for a week at 64-68, then you can move it to a warmer spot and let it free rise.

You looking to do all grain, partial mash or what. I make a partial mash belgian white that is probably my favorite beer I make, around the 5%, uses T58 and no nanner or bubble gum flavor at all.

2lbs Pilsen Malt Partial-Mash
1lb Flaked Wheat Partial-Mash
1lb Oat Flakes Partial-Mash
1lb Pilsen DME 60 minute boil
2lbs Wheat DME 60 minute boil
1oz Liberty hops 60 minute boil
1oz Sweet Orange Peel 10 minute boil
.33oz Coriander seed Lightly crush, 10 minute boil
Safbrew T-58 Dry yeast Ferment at 66-72F

I find this yeast pretty spicy, fits well in a blond, tripel or saison

80-90% pils
0-5% munich/vienna
10-20% sugar

I've been extract brewing with steeping grains for a while, but am slowly moving in to BIAB partials. I can't boil more than 4 gals, and I typically brew 5.5-5.8 gal beers.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to use my 2 gal Igloo for a mini mash, but it doesn't maintain the temp very well. I can do quite well on the stove top though...

So the temps do need to be in the 60's to keep away the funky Belgian tastes?

I'm thinking blonde, golden strong, or possibly triple, but a wheat might be kinda cool too.

Its a seasonal from Brewer's best. Steep to convert and my first one using candi syrup. We'll see how it comes out its only been in primary about 11 days.

Back