How much yeast do we lose when we decant starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biodarwin

Reaction score
Any studies or personal experience with this? I just stepped up to a 1200ml starter and after crashing in the fridge there was only a thin layer of clear liquid. 75% of the remaining liquid looks to have yeast still in suspension and then a small yeast cake on the bottom. Does the crashing need more than 24 hours? Should you just not decant low to medium flocculent yeast starters or just a longer crashing time?

I'm very interested in this too. My starters always taste REALLY unpleasant and I make a lot of 1 gal and 1/2 gal batches the flavor of which is often affected by the foul tasting starter, but I don't decant for fear of losing good yeast.

Longer crashing will definitely clear it up more, but that's not going to make a difference in your beer. Honestly, I would rather get rid of the stubborn, less flocculant yeast so that the beer clears better, but that's just me. Bottom line, you're not loosing much yeast.

I'm very interested in this too. My starters always taste REALLY unpleasant and I make a lot of 1 gal and 1/2 gal batches the flavor of which is often affected by the foul tasting starter, but I don't decant for fear of losing good yeast.

Start decanting. Especially if it's affecting the flavor of your beer. If you're that worried about it, make a larger starter.

Back