Have I ruined it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melikidabeer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bottled my first batch of lager two weeks ago. I couldn't wait the twelve weeks recommended on the kit, and as it is already clear I decided to try one. It tasted a bit acidic and not very nice. Does this mean its spoilt or should I wait longer and try again? Cheers.

I haven't done lagering yet, but I'd definitely not expect it to taste very good yet. 2 weeks isn't even enough time to properly carbonate (at least with ales).

melikidabeer said:
Hi all,
I bottled my first batch of lager two weeks ago. I couldn't wait the twelve weeks recommended on the kit, and as it is already clear I decided to try one. It tasted a bit acidic and not very nice. Does this mean its spoilt or should I wait longer and try again? Cheers.

Just give it a time ....patience will pay you. Let it lager for at least 3 month's, the taste will change definitely ! An after this time, every month that goes by, your lager will improve ...if you can wait so ! ;)

Cheers for that. I tried another today and it wasn't as bad. I'll Definately wait a few months now.

For anyone who might stumble upon this thread, the lager still tastes pretty rough, better than it did, but not great. I put it down to crappy yeast, adding pure sugar and not letting it ferment enough, basically following the instructions on the tin. Buy your own yeast, add malt extract bit sugar, and ferment as low as you can.

Back