Need Spa Panel Clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Getting ready to wire up my spa panel, but wanted some clarification first. A little background on my setup, I bought Kal's 50A Control Panel for back to back batches and I had an electrician install a sub panel in my basement with a 2 Pole 50A 240V Square D circuit breaker that leads to my garage using #6-3-G Romex which connects to a NEMA 14-50R receptacle.

I bought the following to setup the spa panel:

I'm planning on wiring the range extension cord to the spa panel and having that hook into the garage receptacle. Then I'll be installing a 50A 4 prong receptacle into the spa panel, so I can have my power cable that I bought from Kal's webiste to hook into the spa panel to my control panel. I plan on using P-J's diagram for wiring up the spa panel.

Questions:
  • On P-J's diagram it says it's for "4 wire power input form a 30A main power panel circuit breaker". I'm assuming the wiring is the same for a "4 wire power input form a 50A main power panel circuit breaker".
  • To wire up the internal part of the spa panel and since my range extension cord is 6', I can cut off a foot of the range extension cord and use that wiring for the internal wiring of the spa panel correct?
  • There's no need to use terminal rings?
  • The neutral routing of the GFCI break (the white curly wire), I'm assuming not to touch it, leave it how it is.
  • From the image it looks like you wire your neutral wire coming into the spa panel to the the second lug (the closest one to the bottom of the spa panel). Just making sure.
  • What is the metal lever/post??? in the middle of the spa panel underneath the white curly wire?

Thanks in advanced for your answers and help.

You've got everything pretty much right, I think.

1' or so off the end of the range cord will be ample for wiring up the inside of the spa panel.

You won't need the terminal rings - the bare ends of the wire get clamped into the lugs in the spa panel.

Yes, just leave the curly wire where it is (although some people shorten it).

The metal bar with a hole in it at the bottom of the spa panel is for installing a padlock for security reasons (spa panels are often mounted on outside walls).

You've got everything pretty much right, I think.

1' or so off the end of the range cord will be ample for wiring up the inside of the spa panel.

You won't need the terminal rings - the bare ends of the wire get clamped into the lugs in the spa panel.

Yes, just leave the curly wire where it is (although some people shorten it).

The metal bar with a hole in it at the bottom of the spa panel is for installing a padlock for security reasons (spa panels are often mounted on outside walls).

Thanks for the reply. As for the metal bar, that's not what I'm talking about. It's a metal bar with no hole, that is in the middle of the spa panel underneath the white curly wire, and it angles up. You can kind of see it in P-J's diagram.

Im in the process of setting up something similar to this, but I am confused on why you have two power cords (6 ft. 6/8 4-Wire Range Extension Cord, and Kal's 50A control panel power cord)?

ahh, I caught on. looks like you are going to make the spa panel moveable.

Back