Sulfur smell, petite syrah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
I just bought 6 gallons of a petite syrah (chilean juice). No skins or stems. Hydrated my D21 and pitched it in to 70deg juice.

24 hours later, crazy fermentation(visible agitation) and a sulphur smell. Gravity is already down to 1.80

I have gotten LOTS of advice to stir this several times a day to leave it alone to give it nutrient to definetly NO nutrient to throwing salt in the devils eye over my left shoulder.

Also, should I be putting any liquid tannin in or no?

Not sure if you've already made your decision, but according to the Lalvin site, D21 is a medium Nitrogen need, so maybe a little nutrient would have helped, but it it hasn't gotten too much out of hand splash racking and stirring should be fine.

I wouldn't worry about the tannin until later, did the juice taste like it needed more tannin? I just ordered some Malbec and Carmenere (chilean) pails so I"m curious if I should be thinking about tannin. With no solids I'm not sure where to expect.

woggers said:
I just bought 6 gallons of a petite syrah (chilean juice). No skins or stems. Hydrated my D21 and pitched it in to 70deg juice.

24 hours later, crazy fermentation(visible agitation) and a sulphur smell. Gravity is already down to 1.80

I have gotten LOTS of advice to stir this several times a day to leave it alone to give it nutrient to definetly NO nutrient to throwing salt in the devils eye over my left shoulder.

Also, should I be putting any liquid tannin in or no?

Give it a dose of yeast nutrient. It'll give the yeast much needed nitrogen.

Back