Avery Ellie's Brown suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm planning on brewing a brown this weekend and since Avery gives the recipe out on their website (and it's a tasty beer) I thought I'd give this one a try. I think I have the grain bill down, the percentages are close to what Avery recommends. Here's what I plan on doing:

2 Row Pale (US) - 8.8lbs - 81.48% - I've never used Maris Otter, any thoughts on doing all MO or a blend?
Crystal Malt 120L - 0.45lbs - 4.17% 33
Chocolate Malt (US) - 0.65lbs - 6.02%
Munich Malt 10L - 0.9lbs - 8.33%

I'm confused on the hops. Avery says:
60 min – Bullion (7.6% AA) – 0.13oz?
30 min – Sterling (5.1% AA) – 0.32oz
0 min – Sterling (5.1% AA) – 1.01 oz
When I plug these amounts into my brew sheet I don't come close to the 28IBU's they say this beer is. What am I missing?

I was thinking about doing:
Bullion (or a different bittering hop?) - .5 oz @ 60
Sterling .50oz @ 30min
Sterling .50 @ 0 min
Cascade (or something else?) 1oz @ 0 min.
This gets me around 25 IBU's and I would like a little more hop aroma so I added the cascade. You think this will be okay?

Also, for yeast it says California. Should I do WLP001 or can I get away with S-05 or something else?

Here's their website:
http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/

Any advice is appreciated!
Chris

That's my favorite brown ale

I use all MO and 0.5oz each of cluster cascade & fuggles. Either Cali or London ale yeast.

One of the better American brown ales for sure...

I'd stick with Great Western 2-row for a clone. But I see no harm in swapping some of that with a portion of English 2-row or Maris Otter. Any of the following yeasts will perform quite similarly: WLP001, Wyeast 1056, US-05. WLP002, WLP007, or their equivalents should also perform well here.

You could nix the Sterling completely and swap every addition, including your flameout addition, with Cascade (if you want flowery grapefruit). I'd prefer something herbal or woodsy for this like a Nugget/Willamette combo.

Bittering hop shouldn't matter here as long as it's fairly high alpha. You're using so little and it's mainly to get your initial IBUs. Try experimenting with Tinseth/Rager/Garetz/Average to come to a final IBU conclusion. My system seems to be more friendly towards the Rager formula.

Cool, thanks for the help guys! I might save the cascade and go with your hops suggestions and the S-05 to keep it cheap.

Seeing how this recipe turned out.

I had planned on brewing their recipe sometime next month, but probably sticking to their hop bill (increasing the 60min to make the 22ibu though).

Straight from them

SC20130124-102643.jpg

Keep in mind, the amount of fermentables in your opener is assuming about 87% mash efficiency for 5.5 gallons end boil. If you're mash efficiency is 75%, then you'll need more like 10#, 1#, 3/4#, 1/2# respectively for 5.5 gallons end boil. And judging by the hop bill, it only offers approx. 7.7 IBUs total.

Seeing how this recipe turned out.

I had planned on brewing their recipe sometime next month, but probably sticking to their hop bill (increasing the 60min to make the 22ibu though).

It's been in the bottle for 2 1/2 weeks now and I'm happy with it. I think it's a good idea to stick with their hop bill. I went with my own (35ish IBU's) and it does take away from the maltiness. I should have kept it in the mid 20's.

I believe that initial 60min hop addition they have on their website should be multiplied by the amount of gallons you are boiling but I could be totally wrong.

Let me know how it turns out with their hop bill. Might have to brew it again.

After Francis started this thread, I got a wild hare to brew it again. I went with the recipe on Avery's site except I used cascade 60min & fuggles for the 30 & 0. My hydro sample tasted amazing and I actually poured a pint from my secondary and drank it like a cask ale. Should be fully bottle conditioned in a week or so.

Francis thank you for reminding me about one of my favorite beers.

I am using Beer Smith software but it doesn't show the SRM anywhere near what the Elle's looks like. Any suggestions on how to increase the color? I am just building my all grain system, so I am still using some extract.

Thanks for any help. My wife loves Ellie's and wants it for her birthday.

Hope to brew tomorrow.

Back