Leaves being destroyed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
After checking my plants this morning, i noticed a TON of destruction in the lower leaves of my hop plant. Theres much less damage, but still some, on the upper leaves. I sprayed with neem oil late last week but it rained over the weekend. Also, today is the first time i noticed anything crawling on my plant. I cant find anything about what this little basterd is. I sprayed a ton of neem oil (diluted as per instructions on the bottle) again today but it looks horrible. Just wondering if i should do anything aside from the neem oil and if this little bugger can be id'd by anyone. I sprayed him and he didn't budge.

ForumRunner_20130520_175343.jpg

ForumRunner_20130520_175405.jpg

Tobacco.

No offense to you, but to anyone else who wants to be a ******....ahem......I DON'T GIVE AN EFF IF YOU SMOKE OR NOT......

Dump a big pinch of cheap pipe tobacco in a gallon of water, add a tbsp of dish soap, let it sit overnight, strain and spray.

I wouldn't do this 1 week before harvest, I would discontinue mid august.

DO IT AT NIGHT or in the evening. Spray that on your plants the morning of a burning sunny day and they will FRY.

This stuff saved my crop.

That looks like a predatory wasp, and it looks like you were disturbing his dinner. Definitely not a plant eater, he's your friend...

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips fellas. The little bugger didn't fly. I knocked him off the leaf and he just crawled all over. If he's gonna help out i'll be glad to have him. Gonna go buy some tobacco and mix that up. How often should i spray with that and should i keep using the neem oil? Thanks again, gents.

I would spray once and see what happens. all the baddies may skip town, or the season may move on and they never return. If you see new damage after that, Treat it again. I would then spray after it rains to re-coat, and spot treat in between if it needs it.

Would the tobacco spray work for slugs? Just went through the whole plant and noticed a lone slug and another type of bug as well. Still need to go to a cigar shop and get the tobacco.

Either the tobacco or the soap does. Either way, as long as you add the soap it will deter slugs. I used it on my roses too. Works like magic.

Just sprayed everything down with the tobacco/soap mixture. I guess i'll see how well it works in the coming days. My plants are about 9 feet now and i'd hate to see anything destroy them at this point. Sprayed the vegetable garden and hot pepper planters as well.

hey man did yo check that PDF i sent? Yea he/she was doing you a favor, dont spray everything you see before you know what they are. It looks like he/she was onto some mites. Maybe aphid eggs but they look too dark so Im thinking mites. See how the hole patterns in the leaves match where the wasp was eating?

If chessy's rec doesnt get em, try sevin dust. Also, check to see if a local nursery has praying mantis and/or ladybug eggs/kits

I did check out the pdf, but it seemed like it was more for commercial hopyards, so I didn't really finish it. I was already thinking of employing some ladybugs but figured i'd try just spraying them. To be honest, i dont think i'd even be able to buy them where i live. I'll go back and check out the pdf again and see what i can dig up. Thanks for the info.

yea the author was also organic and NW Pacific coast. skip to the pest section, might be some info. You should be able to find lady bugs and praying mantis somewhere, I worked at a nursery upstate and we sold them, seasonal but we carried them.
I tried to find them for years here (deep south) with no luck, moved from my garden last year, walk out the other day and find about a dozen praying mantis on my truck. Couldnt believe it. Theyre terratorital so they stick around and hunt where they were born.
BTW the hop leaves look good. I think should they withstand this assault.

Just ordered praying mantis egg sacs from amazon. I can't possibly say anything to follow that up.

It might be grasshoppers. I'm getting the same thing but I can never catch them in the act. Soapy water sprayed on a bug will kill them almost instantly. I use it for squash bugs in my garden, but you have to hit them directly.

I haven't really SEEN much except for one slug and one other bug. I flip through the leaves fairly regularly and don't really see anything in action. But the second i spray neem oil or the tobacco spray, stuff flies out all over. Hopefully the praying mantis's will take care of business.

They are leaf miners. Just spray them with bifitherine and be done. Get micro-encapsulated so you get a residual. If it isn't leaf miners it's chinch bugs. Either way a good microencap product will do the job. I would do a fungicide about 3 times a year.

Also the stuff that flies out everywhere... What do they look like? You sure it's not white flies? Mosquitos harbor in shadowy spots during the day because they hate UV. I wouldn't introduce an insect until you know what your target pest is. You may end up with a couple of infestations on your hands and no results period.

Back