Sight glass problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I bought 3 of the complete sight glass assembles from brew hardware. I am not bashing Bobby so dont read that into this. The tubing on my brew kettle cracked like crazy and while it does not leak yet no way I can brew with it until replaced. I can get a replacement for 10 bucks plus shipping but I would hate for this to be a ongoing problem. Talking to Bobby by email he said that it was probably from soaking to long in oxyclean. Any one else having the same problem? Any solutions?

I have a sight glass set up from bobby as well however its only on my HLT. I have had 200+ degree water in it with out a problem. But I have never soaked it in any cleaner just a water/ soap rinse

Thats what he said was the cause. It could not have been the heat since the teflon tape looks new and you would think that would discolor if it got to hot. Also I have a heat shield in place so the only heat it gets is from the wort.

The reason I am worried is what if it let go during a boil? That would be bad...

Where did it crack? Is one end of it threaded? Maybe you over tightened it. Post some pics.

I boil with one and never had a problem. I wash with oxy-clean too, but I don't let it soak. Never knew oxy-clean would affect polycarbonate.

Yes, let's see pics. What was your cleaning process?

I've been documenting this odd phenomenon for a couple years now and have been updating an article on the website as I learn more. Here's a copy/paste of what it says right now.

We are increasingly aware that some isolated local water chemistries, coupled with alkaline cleaners such as PBW and/or Oxiclean are more likely to cause crazing/cracking issues in polycarbonate when soaked for long periods of time. We say "water chemistries" in a general way because we are yet to identify exactly what elements in water are the problem but reports of crazing is ALWAYS attributed to PBW/Oxiclean use coupled with long soak times such as overnight or 24 hours plus. We've done exposure testing with several unique water supplies and cannot demonstrate the problem. One user that had crazing/cracking problems retested exposure with carbon filtered tap water and was unable to repeat the problem. Therefore, we know that "something" in water that is removable with carbon filtering is a major catalyst in this problem. Although 5-star chemicals, the makers of PBW, continue to state that PBW is safe for polycarbonate, they have admitted verbally that there may be a crazing issue with long exposures. Unfortunately, they refuse to update their documentation to reflect that.

Bottom Line: Brewhardware does NOT recommend exposing our sight glasses to PBW or Oxiclean solutions for more than an hour or so at a time. Users that wish to perform extending soaking for heavily soiled brewing vessels are advised to temporality remove the sight glass assemblies and plug the hole with a small rubber stopper from the inside.

So far, the typical brewing ions that are tested for are not showing any kind of pattern. My water is very middle of the road, basically right down the middle for acceptable brewing ranges. I have a piece of polycarbonate in a test tube filled with PBW solution sitting for so long that I've completely evaporated the water out of it and refilled 4 times. I've tried adding chlorine, excess calcium, distilled, 3x and even 10x recommended PBW concentration. It just doesn't happen with my water nor many other water supplies.

Back