Looking for some advise on a product.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link took me to a 1500W element - that will only need a 15A circuit. It does look suitable, but it's not very powerful. What size is your brew kettle?

Just a reminder, whatever circuit you use will need GFCI protection.

The link took me to a 1500W element - that will only need a 15A circuit. It does look suitable, but it's not very powerful. What size is your brew kettle?

Just a reminder, whatever circuit you use will need GFCI protection.

I have all of the correct wiring in my kitchen and I want to use this to speed up my brew time. currently I can get 7 gal up to 170 in 60 mins and then to a boil in 30.

For 7 gallons I would say 3000W is the minimum not to go crazy waiting for it to boil, so with the extra element you're in the right ballpark.

That is extremely interesting. I was looking at the Ogden site and think there was something similar there.

I've been looking at Watlow Firerod Immersion heaters. They come in a variety of voltages, wattage, etc.

Two things have kept me from getting a couple just to play with:
1) expensive compared to the tried and true water heater element, and
2) really high watt density on some of them.

That said, I'm still considering getting one to play with. I'm guessing that one could make a very tidy little RIMS tube with them. That, or it would be a total disaster, one or the other.

I saw some of these cheap on ebay. I think they'd be great for RIMS. I have a high opinion of Watlow stuff.

The heat stick you listed doesn't have a GND connection at element or plug. This probably defeats the GFCI functionality of your kitchen outlets.

You could probably get creative and add a GND to your kettle and change the plug.

Back