Plastic flavor/aroma, bummed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I did my very first 10 gallon all grain batch about 3 weeks ago and felt great about it... Until today, when I tasted a sample after racking it to kegs. There's a definite plastic taste in the beer from both fermenters (bucket and better bottle), which (if I understand correctly) will probably not subside. I'm incredibly bummed that I might have 10 gallons of bad brew, but at this point I need to find out what went wrong and prevent this from happening again.

In reexamining my brew day, i couldn't think of anything i did differently, other than draining into the fermenters through a silicon hose, rather than dumping like i did with 5 gallon batches. Then I had the thought that perhaps the flavor was picked up from my starsan solution. In the past I used filtered water but for the past 2 batches I guess I got lazy and I just used hose water. Would the chlorine in the hose water be enough to contribute a strong plastic taste to my entire batch? The starsan solution was 2nd generation and probably a month old or so.

If not the starsan, I don't know what could've caused the issue. I used carbon filtered water + campden tabs, hit all my numbers, fermented S-05 @ 63 degrees, was religious about sanitation, etc. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to have this happen again. Thanks!

You sure its not from the hose ? Are you talking garden hose thats outside in the sun ?

You sure its not from the hose ? Are you talking garden hose thats outside in the sun ?

Yeah, garden hose... But not for my brew water, just for the starsan.

My previous batch used the same starsan solution, which had been mixed up that day, but did not have any polyphenolic flavor or aroma.

What kind of hose are you using for your brew water? I've definitely had batches ruined from garden hose or a nasty carbon filter.

What kind of hose are you using for your brew water? I've definitely had batches ruined from garden hose or a nasty carbon filter.

I use a piece of 5/16" vinyl tubing (from my lhbs) connected to the faucet filter on my sink. The hose actually smells kinda funky, but is just transporting the filtered water from the sink to a bucket. How could it cause such a bad plastic taste? Plus the water was then mashed and boiled for 75 minutes. :confused:

I've never gotten my brew water from the garden hose.

Back