I have searched and read and re-read...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have chemistry on the brain from trying to wrap my head around water chemistry.
Up to this point, I have used my well water and had good results.

But I just want to better understand what is going on with the mash pH and everything that goes along with it.

My water profile from Ward Labs is attached and I just want to have the more experienced members take a look at it and see if everything looks acceptable.

Anything that I should address and more importantly how do I address it?

It seems like it is a chase your tail game with water adjustments. Add some X to alter one component BUT that also alters another. Add Y to address this and then something else gets wacky.

Is there a particular kind of beer that I should stay away from with unadjusted water?

Is there a kind of beer that I am best suited for?

I have made Irish Red, Brown Ale, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale and they all seem to taste very good. I am just searching for "tweaks"

Thanks for the help and I hope that this does not incite a riot.

View attachment WaterProfile.pdf

From the looks of it you have hard water, but it's not that bad.

Generally, hard water can add a little bitterness and is good for IPAs and saisons. Pilsners and other lighter-bodied beers benefit more from soft water.

Limited bits of knowledge, but I hope that helps. I started diluting my own water, which is around 7.6, with some distilled water which has a tendency to be soft. Whether or not this makes a difference, I haven't been able to tell just yet.

Back