Is aging an IPA ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I'm gonna try a 60min IPA clone recipe but I currently have about 12 gallons of beer to drink. I can't stand the sight of empty fermenters. The recipe says it will be ready in six weeks, I doubt I can drink all my beer by then. So would an IPA in secondary loose the hop aroma/flavor over time? I will dry hop about a week before kegging. Thanks!

I like my IPAs pretty fresh, kegged about 4 weeks after the brew date. The hop flavor and aroma will diminish the longer it ages. If you are thinking of aging it for multiple months I would just put off brewing an IPA.

Yes it will lose aroma/flavor, which is why I am usually drinking my IPA's by 4 wks. Why do you need to drink all 12 gallons before packaging the IPA? Can't you just drink up the least full keg? Or even bottling you should be able to be drinking by 5-6 wks. You could make a 5g batch if it's room for a big batch that's the issue.

like hey says, ipa's are best after a few weeks, when the hops start melding with the other flavors, but before they completely meld and lose their distinctness. i start drinking mine after 4 weeks in the keg, and want them gone by 8-10 weeks

Yes it will lose aroma/flavor, which is why I am usually drinking my IPA's by 4 wks. Why do you need to drink all 12 gallons before packaging the IPA? Can't you just drink up the least full keg? Or even bottling you should be able to be drinking by 5-6 wks. You could make a 5g batch if it's room for a big batch that's the issue.

I just kegged 10 gallons last night and it is currently carbing up, I bottled a batch 3 weeks ago and I have only drank about a six pack of those. I guess I'll just wait to make another batch. My family is leaving this weekend and it just seems the perfect opportunity to brew another batch. Maybe I will make something that benefits from long term aging (2-3 months).

Back