Opinions on freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkringii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have a local guy with several "new" scratch and dent freezers. I already have a kegerator but im looking to make a fermentation chamber.. ive read the reviews on both models but was wondering if anyone here has dealt with either of these models including: longevity, durability, efficiency, shelf strength:ban: (for the upright) and so on. Any and all opinions would be helpful..

Back ground on me... i dont really lager but we get some pretty muggy summers here in Michigan.. and i dont yet have central air.. so $100 on a new freezer is little cheaper than $2500 on central air right now.. lots of ales so i was thinking just an old fridge but then these came up and the idea of maybe trying to some laggering has started to creep into my head i guess..

Igloo FRF472 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer

Igloo FRF690 6.9 cu ft Upright White Freezer

i have an un finished basement so space is really no issue right now..

thanks in advance!

Welcome to the world of closely-controlled fermentation temps. You're gonna love it. I do hope you realize that you are starting down a slippery slope here. Before you know it, you'll have a fermenter chamber, a lagering freezer, plus a keezer all with STC-1000 controllers on them. :D

Either one of those freezer will do the job. I started out fermenting with a chest freezer (and STC-1000) since I already had one in the garage that was not being used. It's now my keezer. I also have an upright freezer for lagering and a fridge for fermenting. If you don't enjoy hefting full fermenter buckets or carboys over the top edge of the chest freezer, go for the upright. The upright is also makes it easier to access the fermenter to get gravity readings.

Go with the chest freezer. It has a bit more capacity and you can also place more fermentors and or kegs than you can in an upright.

Just a bit of friendly advice......make sure it is actually a new unit and not a re-furb that was scrapped out by a warranty repair place. There are several of little shops that pop up and disappear in the more populated parts of our state that are repairing units that have been scrapped due to too many repairs and selling them as "scratch and dent", close out, or gently used items. Just had one close up around the corner from my house. Some of the units they were selling as "scratch" and dent had repair cards taped to the back still due to laziness on their part.

Back