Frozen Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloatbrewing

Reaction score
Okay, maybe this needs to be posted in newbie forum but it is kegging related. TL:DR version: put cornet keg of ocktoberfest in a never properly freezing freezer that actually decided to freeze. Keg is frozen solid. Is there a chance that this beer is salvageable? If I thaw it is there any use holding it til October? And the poor little yeasties--dead? Thanks for any advice or commiseration.

If it was already done fermenting and it was in there just to condition, it will be fine when it warms back up. You may have changed the taste slightly but it shouldn't have ruined it.

Beer slushies. Co2 stops yeast activity normally so liquify it and enjoy ice cold beer.

Beer slushies. Co2 stops yeast activity normally so liquify it and enjoy ice cold beer.

I'm not sure that came out quite the way you intended it to. Yeast create CO2 while consuming the sugar in the beer. So C02 doesn't stop them. But typically once you have hooked up your keg to the CO2 the yeast have already consumed all the sugar they are going to.

Definitely misread. Thanks the for the correction. For some reason I thought they froze a carbonated keg. Yeast need o2 but carbonation removes o2 which should make the yeast inactive. Right?

My worry is more for your keg than the beer. Hope you didn't damage the keg seams. The beer should be fine. Palmer's Vienna froze and it won awards. He tells the story in his book.

Back