Belgian wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbeer69

Reaction score
I have my second ag batch in the secondary now. its a wit. Just wandering if I can add corriander to the secondary? Put 1/2 oz. in at 10min. Just did'nt seem to have the aroma when I racked it to the sec. Thanks

I would not recommend just tossing it into secondary. There are many microbes that live in spices (you should have seen the petri dishes after we plated the various spices back in Microbiology.) If you feel as though you need to add it, make sure it is boiled first. Some may disagree stating that the alcohol will take care of it, but I would not trust it.

My recommendation is to take note that it seemed to need more and wait for acutal tasting. If it does need more, drop a few sprinkles after you pour/dispense it. More improtantly, write it down for the next time you make it. Good luck.

Yup. I think coriander is one of those spices that have a lot of bad things for beer. What about roasting them first to kill the bad things.

Did you crush it before boiling it? My first wit had almost no coriander aroma and the 2nd batch did because i crushed it.

If you want to add the flavor, you could steep an oz of coriander in near boiling water for about 30-40 minutes, boil for 5 minutes, then cool and add to taste.

Be careful though, its quite easy to overdo coriander.

Thanks for the info. I think I will just wait to taste it to make sure I don't over do it. Thanks again

Coriander can be easily overdone as mentioned above. A 1/2oz crushed provided you have quality fresh coriander would be overpowering in most brews. I found this out the hard way :drunk:

Back