Fermentation temp for very active fermenting RIS using WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I need some advice on adjusting my fermentation chamber for my RIS i'll be brewing tomorrow. It's a big 15% beer and I have a 4l starter I will be pitching. I would like to ferment at 65f but I know the fermentation can raise the temperature 5-10f. I think this one will be very aggressive and could be in that 7-10 range? My temp sensor usually is taped to the outside of the primary. Should I set my temp to 55-58f to compensate for the heat gain. Or is having the thermometer attached to the primary more accurately portraying the fermentation temp and I don't need to adjust for it at all? I can insulate with a towel or something. Thanks.

I would set the temperature for as close to the target fermentation temperature as possible. Monitor for discrepancies via thermometer to maintain consistent temperature. A thermometer directly on the carboy will be a very accurate representation, especially if covered by an insulator such as a blanket. This way, you can make necessary minor shifts through monitoring closely through fermentation cycle.

Hope this helps, peace,

Latest posts

Back