Sunset Gold APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
cooper\'s ale yeast
Yeast Starter
1 1/2C starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
23L (6.072G)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
25 minutes
Color
14-17 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
29 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
light toastiness with smooth spicy hop flavors
This is a good beer to sit in the shade with,or even as a session beer. It's not all American ingredients,but you wouldn't know it to taste it,or look at it. the ingredients are;
1 can Cooper's OS Draught
3lbs Munton's plain light DME
1oz US Perle hops,8.2AA%
Czech Saaz,3.1AA%
cooper's 7g ale yeast sachet in starter
Topped off to 23L
Brewed @ 70F
Boil 1 1/2C of water,add 1/4C of the DME,insert quick check thermometer & cover with plastic wrap. when it gets down to 70F or so,stir in yeast sachet & recover.
^**^This is how I used to do it. Now I get 400mL of luke warm water (about 70-75F) in my flask,pour the dry yeast in & let it sit 15 minutes. Stir it in with sanitized skewer or the like,& let sit another 15 minutes. Stir again & cover/let sit 30 minutes. I do this while ice bathing hot wort.
Put 2.5G of water in BK & bring to a boil. Add half the DME (1.5lbs), stir to dissolve clumps. You'll get a mini hot break for about 3 minutes. **I now use about 3.5 gallons of local spring water with 2lbs of plain DME.**
Then add the 1oz of US Perle hops in a hop sack,start timer for 20 minutes.
At 10 minutes,add .5oz of the Saaz. At flame out,remove BK from heat,place strainer over BK,remove/drain hop sacks. Then squeeze them out & set aside. **I now just add hops loose in the boil. Better edge to flavors that way.**Stir in remaining DME to dissolve. Add remaining .5oz of Saaz,place lid on BK & time 10 minutes. **You could just do this hop addition @ 3 minutes left in boil.**
Remove hops sack,drain,& squeeze it out. Add cooper's can & stir till all LME is scraped off the bottom of the BK. Replace lid,& steep 15 minutes.
Then place in ice water bath till temp goes down to 75F.
Pour through fine mesh strainer into sanitized fermenter. This gets out gunk & aerates the wort. Add top off water to 23L mark,Or 6G. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes to completely mix wort & top off water. This should get temp down to 65-67F. Take hydrometer sample,should get 1.046 OG. Stir starter/hydrate & pour it into FV.
Seal & add cheap vodka to airlock.
When fermentation is complete,hydrometer sample over 2-3 days should be FG 1.010. Make priming solution of 2C very hot water in small saucepan on stove With 4.55oz of dextrose,or about 1C. Dissolve till clear again. Cool off solution. Rack ale to bottling bucket,& when a couple inches deep,slowly pour in priming solution. When finished racking,stir gently about 12 times.
Bottle as usual,but use o2 barrier caps. Should yield 66 bottles. Store in boxes at room temp for 23 days.

I input the wrong OG,that 1.050 is from the whiskely ale. This one's OG was 1.046,my bad. US Saaz could be used equally well. I also didn't mention that I always make this small starter in a 2C (.5L) Pyrex measuring cup. You can then nuke the 1 1/2C of water to boiling to save time.
I also like to pour the priming solution in the bottling bucket's rising beer level slowly at the surface so as to minimize oxidation.
And most of one small bag of ice will be fine. Not all that much is needed.
*PS* Here's what it looks like for the curious minded;http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/APA1.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/PICT0001.jpg
By the way,this brew cost me $37.66 to make 6G,yielding 66 bottles. That's 57c per bottle for the bean counters.
**10/08/11-After much smelling & sampling of this ale,& it's IPA cousin,I'll be adding 1 more pound of plain DME to raise the malt backbone a little. It seems to need it to stand up to the hops a tad more.

Well,I just ordered more brewing supplies,& I'm changing the hops used this time to 1oz each of Ahtanum & Sterling pellet hops. Amarillo,Simcoe,& Citra are hard to come by in these parts. But the Ahtanum & Sterling should give a more "classic" APA hop flavor. The hop schedule will remain the same. Since the Sterling is 6%AA,it'll go in 1st. The Ahtanum is 4.5%AA. Citrus,spice,herbal with some earthiness sounded pretty good for an American pale ale. Maybe more like Sierra Nevada?

Well,pitch on V2 last Sunday,1/22/12. Got hung up on other things,forgot about BK of wort in ice bath. It got down to 13C,or 55.4F. OG 1.046. Yeast pitched was the larger (15g) packet of Cooper's ale yeast re-hydrated. 8:54pm the same evening,it got up to 16C,or 60.8F & airlock center piece pegged the cap.
1/23/12,11:40am wort temp got up to 20C,or 68F with about 2" of krausen. @ 1:55pm spotted 1st bubble from airlock. Temp at this point was 21C,or 69.8F. So it's my concidered opinion that the Cooper's ale yeast should be pitched around 64F to get it going a bit sooner,since they claim it's lower range temp to be 62F. 64F def seems to be the safer bet at this point in regard to a shorter lagg time. It took so long this time since I fudged up the wort chill. From now on,I'll have the little things done while waiting on the boil,or the night before. That way I can keep a closer eye on the chill down. Get it down to maybe 66F,then strain into FV with cold top off water to 64F for the pitch temp.
Anyway,it smells rather crisp compared to V1 With the 1oz each of Ahtanum & sterling hop pellets used this time. The Ahtanum hops were added at the same 20 minute mark. But this time,the sterling hops added at the 15 minute mark,rather than 12 min in v1 recipe. Also,the smell coming from the airlock had a rich,herby/spicy aroma with a hint of citrus. Like fine dining sort of food would smell in regard to the quality of the hop aromas in that over-all crispness. So I think maybe the lower pitch temps are what produce this crispness?...we'll see at the 2 week mark.

Keep forgeting to add another thought I had here. The Cooper's can is pre-hopped with bittering. But it's pretty smooth. You could add,say,.3oz of hops @ 60 minutes for more bitterring if you want. Maybe only .2oz...I'd have to do it up in BS2 to see what gives with that though.

Back